Direct Collisions with objects moving in towards each other

• Thread starter Woolyabyss
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Collisions
In summary: Yes, you are correct. When x=-1, u=3v-3, which is less than 3v. Remember, x is the speed of the bigger ball after the collision, and since it is negative, it means the ball is traveling in the opposite direction. So the inequality should be u > 3v. Good job!
Woolyabyss

Homework Statement

Two Smooth spheres of masses m and 3m move with speeds u and v in opposite directions. The smaller mass is brought to rest.

(i) show that the coefficient of restitution,e, is given by e =(u - 3v)/(3u + 3v)

(ii) show that u ≥ 3v

Homework Equations

m1u1 + m2u2 = m1v1 + m2v2

(v1 - v2)/(u1 - u2) = -e

The Attempt at a Solution

(i)
let x equal speed of bigger object after impact

3mv + m(-u) = 3mx

x = (3v -u)/3

using (v1 - v2)/(u1 - u2) = -e

x/(v -(-u) ) = -e

substitute value for x

(3v -u)/(3v + 3u) = -e

e = (u - 3v)/(3v + 3u)

(ii)

can somebody help with this part? I have no Idea how to turn this into an inequality.

Any help would be appreciated

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
3mv + m(-u) = 3mx
... you have the small sphere traveling in the negative direction before impact and then stopping.
This is a head-on collision: which direction must the larger sphere be traveling after the collision?
What does the speed of the small mass have to have been in order for this to happen?

Now take a look at the equation for the coefficient of restitution ... what happens to it when u < 3v?

Simon Bridge said:
... you have the small sphere traveling in the negative direction before impact and then stopping.
This is a head-on collision: which direction must the larger sphere be traveling after the collision?
What does the speed of the small mass have to have been in order for this to happen?

Now take a look at the equation for the coefficient of restitution ... what happens to it when u < 3v?

The larger sphere has to travel in the opposite(negative) direction.

When u < 3v the coefficient of restitution will be negative. (I'm not sure what this means for the impact)

I'm not sure how to work out what speed the small has to be.

I'm not sure how to work out what speed the small has to be.
Hint: conservation of momentum.

Simon Bridge said:
Hint: conservation of momentum.

Is this correct?

3v - u = 3x

does it have to be u ≥ 3v since we know the bigger mass has to travel in the opposite direction after impact.

which means its magnitude is a negative value. otherwise the bigger mass would continue in the same direction.Which we know can't happen since the smaller one stops.
eg. u = 3.2v 3v - 3.2v = -.2v = 3x

but it could also be equal since they could both stop when they collide.
3v - 3v = 0

hence ......u ≥ 3v

does it have to be u ≥ 3v since we know the bigger mass has to travel in the opposite direction after impact.
That's the right idea - I'll just help you tidy up the math a bit:

So - by conservation of momentum: 3v-u=3x => u=3(v-x) (note: u,v>0)
If the small ball stops, the big ball cannot continue forward (the small ball is in the way), so it must stop or go backwards, so x≤0
For x=0, u=?
For x<0, u=?

This can also be obtained from the physical meaning of that e value ... you should take another look at your notes there.

Simon Bridge said:

If the small ball stops, the big ball cannot continue forward (the small ball is in the way), so it must stop or go backwards, so x≤0
For x=0, u=?
For x<0, u=?

This can also be obtained from the physical meaning of that e value ... you should take another look at your notes there.

Alright thanks

Simon Bridge said:

For x=0, u=?
For x<0, u=?

x = 0, u = 3v

say x= -1, u =3(v - 1) = 3v - 3 would this not mean ... u < 3v?

or is it because you brought the 3x so it changes from negative to positive
so it would actually be... 3v + 3

and so u > 3v ?

Related to Direct Collisions with objects moving in towards each other

1. What is a direct collision?

A direct collision occurs when two objects are moving towards each other and collide without any other intervening forces.

2. How are direct collisions different from oblique collisions?

In a direct collision, the objects approach each other along the same line of motion, while in an oblique collision, the objects approach each other at an angle.

3. What factors affect the outcome of a direct collision?

The outcome of a direct collision is influenced by factors such as the masses and velocities of the objects, the elasticity of the objects, and any external forces acting on the objects.

4. Can direct collisions be perfectly elastic?

Yes, direct collisions can be perfectly elastic if there is no loss of kinetic energy during the collision. This means that the objects will bounce off each other with no change in their velocities.

5. How are direct collisions used in real-world applications?

Direct collisions are used in many real-world applications, such as in sports like billiards and tennis, in car crashes, and in the design of airbags. Understanding the physics behind direct collisions is important in predicting and preventing potential accidents.