Direct Products and Sums of Modules - Notation

In summary, the conversation is about understanding the notation for products and direct sums in John Dauns' book "Modules and Rings". The notation for products is given as \Pi \{ M_i | i \in I \} \equiv \Pi M_i, and for direct sums as \oplus \{ M_i | i \in I \} \equiv \oplus M_i. The discussion includes clarifications on the meaning of these notations, with examples and alternative interpretations such as viewing products as strings or sets. It also addresses the difference between direct product and direct sum in the case of finite index sets.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading John Dauns book "Modules and Rings". I am having problems understanding the notation in section 1-2 (see attachment)

My issue is understanding the notation on Section 1-2, subsection 1-2.1 (see attachment).

Dauns is dealing with the product [TEX] \Pi \{ M_i | i \in I \} \equiv \Pi M_i [/TEX] and states in (ii) - see attachment

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alternatively, the product can be viewed as consisting of all strings or sets

[TEX] x = \{ x_i | i \in I \} \equiv (x_i)_{i \in I} \equiv (x_i) \equiv ( \_ \_ \_ \ , x_i , \_ \_ \_ ) , x_i \in M_i; [/TEX] i-th

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am not sure of the meaning of the above set of equivalences. Can someone briefly elaborate ... preferably with a simple example

If we take the case of I = {1,2,3} and consider the product [TEX] M_1 \times M_2 \times M_3 [/TEX] then does Dauns notation mean

[TEX] x = (x_1, x_2, x_3) [/TEX] where order in the triple matters (mind you if it does what are we to make of the statement [TEX] x = \{ x_i | i \in I \} [/TEX]Can someone confirm that [TEX] x = (x_1, x_2, x_3) [/TEX] is a correct interpretation of Dauns notation?

===============================================================================================

Dauns then goes on to define the direct sum as follows:

The direct sum [TEX] \oplus \{ M_i | i \in I \} \equiv \oplus M_i [/TEX] is defined as the submodule [TEX] \oplus M_i \subseteq \Pi M_i [/TEX] consisting of those elements [TEX] x = (x_i) \in \Pi M_i [/TEX] having at most a finite number of non-zero coordinates or components. Sometimes [TEX] \oplus M_i , \Pi M_i [/TEX] are called the external direct sum and the external direct product respectively.================================================================================================

Can someone point out the difference between [TEX] \oplus M_i , \Pi M_i [/TEX] in the case of the example involving [TEX] M_1, M_2, M_3 [/TEX] - I cannot really see the difference! For example, what elements exactly are in [TEX] \Pi M_i [/TEX] that are not in [TEX] \oplus M_i [/TEX]

I would be grateful if someone can clarify these issues.

Peter

This has also been posted on MHF

Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
If we take the case of I = {1,2,3} and consider the product [TEX] M_1 \times M_2 \times M_3 [/TEX] then does Dauns notation mean

[TEX] x = (x_1, x_2, x_3) [/TEX] where order in the triple matters (mind you if it does what are we to make of the statement [TEX] x = \{ x_i | i \in I \} [/TEX]
Yes, if $x\in M_1 \times M_2 \times M_3$, then $x$ is an ordered triple $(x_1,x_2,x_3)$ such that $x_i\in M_i$ for $i=1,2,3$. The notation $x = \{ x_i\mid i \in I \}$ is perhaps unfortunate. It would be valid if $x_i$ carried the information of the module they came from, e.g., $x = \{ (x_i,i)\mid i \in I \}$. Then it is possible to order such set according to the second component of its elements.

Alternatively, $x$ may be viewed as a function from $\{1,2,3\}$ to $M_1\cup M_2\cup M_3$ with the restriction that $x(i)$ is always in the correct module $M_i$. Such construction is called dependent product in programming (type theory).

Peter said:
Can someone point out the difference between [TEX] \oplus M_i , \Pi M_i [/TEX] in the case of the example involving [TEX] M_1, M_2, M_3 [/TEX] - I cannot really see the difference! For example, what elements exactly are in [TEX] \Pi M_i [/TEX] that are not in [TEX] \oplus M_i [/TEX]
For finite products and sums (i.e., when the index set is finite), direct product and direct sum are exactly the same. See Wikipedia.

Thanks Evgeny ... A most helpful post ...

Peter

Related to Direct Products and Sums of Modules - Notation

1. What is the difference between a direct product and a direct sum of modules?

A direct product of modules is a Cartesian product of the underlying sets with operations defined component-wise. On the other hand, a direct sum of modules is a direct product with additional restrictions on the components to ensure that only finitely many are non-zero. In other words, a direct sum is a direct product with a finite support condition.

2. How is the direct product/sum of modules denoted?

The direct product of modules is denoted by the symbol ×, while the direct sum is denoted by the symbol ⊕ or ⨁.

3. What is the significance of the direct product/sum in module theory?

The direct product/sum of modules is an important construction in module theory as it allows us to combine multiple modules into a new module with a well-defined structure. It also helps in understanding the properties and behavior of modules in a more systematic way.

4. How is the direct product/sum of modules defined?

The direct product of modules is defined as the set of all tuples of elements, with operations defined component-wise. The direct sum of modules is defined as the set of all tuples with only finitely many non-zero elements, with operations defined similarly.

5. Can we extend the concept of direct product/sum to infinite collections of modules?

Yes, the concept of direct product/sum can be extended to infinite collections of modules, but with some modifications. In this case, the direct product/sum is defined as the set of all infinite tuples with operations defined component-wise, subject to certain convergence conditions. This is known as the direct product/sum of infinite modules.