Direct Products of Modules - Bland - Proposition 2.1.1 and its proof

In summary: Thanks Deveno.In summary, The Proposition in question proves that the Universal Mapping Property holds for the direct product. The proof uses a family of module homomorphisms, and it is important to know this in order to define direct products more precisely. It is also worth noting that this proof moves away from considering cosets and towards other types of structures.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Paul E. Bland's book, Rings and Their Modules, Section 2.1: Direct Products and Direct Sums.

I have a question regarding the proof of Proposition 2.1.1

Proposition 2.1.1 and its proof (together with with a relevant preliminary definition) read as follows:

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/2427

As can be seen in the above text, the first line of the proof reads as follows:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proof. Let N be an R-Module and suppose that, for each \(\displaystyle \alpha \in \Delta, \ \ f_\alpha : \ N \to M_\alpha \) is an R-linear mapping.

... ... ... etc. etc.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

My question is as follows:

How do we know such a family of module homomorphisms or R-linear mappings \(\displaystyle f_\alpha \) from \(\displaystyle N \) to \(\displaystyle M_\alpha \) exist?

... ... or is the point that if they do not exist, then the direct product does not exist?

Hope someone can help.

Peter

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you cannot take the direct product of non-existent mappings.

Deveno said:
Yes, you cannot take the direct product of non-existent mappings.

Thanks Deveno ... gives me confidence to have your confirmation ...

However, I am still perplexed as to why Bland seeks to establish a unique mapping from every R-module to establish the existence of a direct product ... indeed he also involves every set of R-linear mappings??

Can you help?

Peter

Peter said:
Thanks Deveno ... gives me confidence to have your confirmation ...

However, I am still perplexed as to why Bland seeks to establish a unique mapping from every R-module to establish the existence of a direct product ... indeed he also involves every set of R-linear mappings??

Can you help?

Peter
I have now learned that Proposition 2.1.1 actually proves the Universal Mapping Property for the direct product.

However I am still puzzled about Bland's motive for doing this ... but he clearly uses this proof to formally define direct products ... but why does he do this ... indeed ... what was wrong with his 'informal definition' when he opened his discussion of direct products, as follows:https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/2446The above seems a perfectly good definition to me ... so why does Bland go through Proposition 2.1.1, apparently in order to give a 'formal' or better definition ... in what way is the new definition more exact or better ...

To give MHB members necessary relevant information to see why a new definition may be necessary, here is the 'formal' definition or re-definition of direct product based on consideration of Proposition 2.1.1:View attachment 2447
My question, as indicated above is as follows:

Why is Bland doing this re-definition ... what exactly is wrong or weak or inexact in his previous definition where he opened his discussion of direct products?

I would really appreciate help?

Peter

Last edited:
There's nothing wrong with it, per se. It's just that the universal property is more "portable" in talking about OTHER structures, such as groups, rings, vector spaces (and perhaps more importantly) topological spaces.

The construction is, then, CATEGORICAL, and if such a diagram exists in a given category, one says the category "has products". This is often very useful, and one knows all the important properties of the product without having to re-prove them in the different settings.

More of math (for good or ill) is moving in this direction.

Deveno said:
There's nothing wrong with it, per se. It's just that the universal property is more "portable" in talking about OTHER structures, such as groups, rings, vector spaces (and perhaps more importantly) topological spaces.

The construction is, then, CATEGORICAL, and if such a diagram exists in a given category, one says the category "has products". This is often very useful, and one knows all the important properties of the product without having to re-prove them in the different settings.

More of math (for good or ill) is moving in this direction.

Thanks Deveno ... seems the implication of what you are saying is that I should make a serious detour in my study of rings and modules and learn some category theory ...

Thanks again,

Peter

Not necessarily...but know when something is characterized by a "universal (mapping) property" that somewhere category theory is lurking beneath it.

When one studies rings, a great deal of focus is on properties of ideals. Most (if not all) of this, can be phrased in terms of surjective ring homomorphisms and kernels, eliminating the need to talk about cosets at all! Is this desirable? It depends on your point of view.

Do you want to see "the big picture" or get well-acquainted with the peculiarities of individual structures? I cannot (and should not) make that choice for you.

Related to Direct Products of Modules - Bland - Proposition 2.1.1 and its proof

1. What is a direct product of modules?

A direct product of modules is a new module that is created by combining two or more existing modules using a specific operation called the direct product. It is denoted by the symbol ⊕ and is similar to the Cartesian product of sets.

2. What is the significance of Bland - Proposition 2.1.1 in the study of direct products of modules?

Bland - Proposition 2.1.1 is a fundamental result in the study of direct products of modules. It states that the direct product of any two modules is a module itself, and its underlying set is the Cartesian product of the underlying sets of the individual modules.

3. Can you explain the proof of Bland - Proposition 2.1.1?

The proof of Bland - Proposition 2.1.1 involves showing that the direct product of two modules satisfies the axioms of a module. This includes showing closure under addition and scalar multiplication, as well as verifying the other axioms such as associativity and distributivity.

4. Are there any special cases where Bland - Proposition 2.1.1 does not hold?

Yes, there are some special cases where Bland - Proposition 2.1.1 does not hold. For example, if the two modules being combined have different underlying sets, then the direct product will not be a module. Also, if the direct product is taken with respect to a non-commutative operation, it may not satisfy all the axioms of a module.

5. How can Bland - Proposition 2.1.1 be applied in real-world situations?

Bland - Proposition 2.1.1 has applications in various areas of mathematics, such as linear algebra, abstract algebra, and representation theory. It is also used in practical settings, such as in coding theory and cryptography, where modules are used to represent data structures and operations.