Direct Sum/Product of Groups Clarification?

• Thread starter shallumstuart
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Groups
In summary, the direct product of two groups G and H is defined as multiplying or adding componentwise using the operation in the given component. In the case of Z4 x Z2, the operation is the second one mentioned, where (1,1) + (2,1) = (3,0). If the operation in Z4 is redefined to be addition mod 4, then the direct product would be Z2 x Z2. The notation (Z4 x Z2, +mod2) does not make sense for a group.
shallumstuart
I have a pretty basic question about direct sum/product of groups.

Say you were given the group (Z4 x Z2, +mod2). Now I know that Z4 x Z2 is given by { (0,0), (0,1), (1,0), (1,1), (2,0), (2,1), (3,0), (3,1) }. So now if you were going to add together two of the elements using the binary operation +mod2, e.g. doing (1,1) +mod2 (2,1). Does this give you:

(1,1) +mod2 (2,1) = (1+2,1+1) = (3,2) = (1,0)?
I'm pretty sure that this is correct, but I thought another possibility might have been that you add the first two elements in mod4 and the second two in mod 2

e.g. (1,1) + (2,1) = (3,2) = (3,0).

Help clarifying would be super.

Physics news on Phys.org
The definition of the direct product of two groups G and H is that you multiply (or add in the abelian case) componentwise using the operation in the given component. So in Z4 x Z2 the operation is the second one you did, e.g. (1,1) + (2,1) = (3,0). Of course to get the first thing you had (e.g. (1,1) + (2,1) = (1,0)) you could redefine the operation in Z4 to be addition mod 4, but then you would really have Z2 (so the direct product would be Z2 x Z2). For example with this operation on Z4 we are forced for 3 and 1 to be the same element since 3 - 1 = 2 = 0.

thanks that's helpful.

although i still don't quite get the meaning of the +mod2 part. When the group is defined as (Z4 x Z2, +mod2), doesn't the +mod2 tell you the binary operation by which you combine elements of the set? if that's the case, when you add componentwise how come you are adding the first two together in mod4 but the second two in mod2?

Last edited:
never mind, i don't actually think it makes any sense to say (Z4 x Z2, +mod2)

I can confirm that your understanding of the direct sum/product of groups is correct. When adding two elements in a direct sum/product, we use the binary operation defined for each individual group. In this case, the binary operation for Z4 is addition mod 4 and the binary operation for Z2 is addition mod 2. Therefore, (1,1) +mod2 (2,1) would be (1+2,1+1) = (3,2) = (1,0) in Z4 x Z2.

Your second possibility of adding the first two elements in mod4 and the second two in mod2 is not correct. In a direct sum/product, the elements are added individually according to their group's binary operation. So, (1,1) + (2,1) would not be (3,2) = (3,0), but rather (1+2,1+1) = (3,2) = (1,0) in Z4 x Z2.

I hope this clarifies any confusion and helps you better understand direct sum/product of groups. Keep up the good work!

Related to Direct Sum/Product of Groups Clarification?

What is the direct product/sum of groups?

The direct product/sum of groups is a mathematical operation that combines two or more groups to form a new group. It is denoted by the symbol × or +, depending on whether it is a direct product or a direct sum.

How is the direct product/sum of groups calculated?

The direct product/sum of groups is calculated by taking the Cartesian product of the individual groups and defining a binary operation on the resulting set. For the direct product, the operation is usually component-wise multiplication, while for the direct sum, the operation is component-wise addition.

What is the difference between direct product and direct sum of groups?

The main difference between direct product and direct sum of groups is the operation used. As mentioned before, direct product uses multiplication while direct sum uses addition. Additionally, the direct sum also has the condition that the elements of each group must commute with each other, while the direct product does not have this restriction.

What are some applications of the direct product/sum of groups?

The direct product/sum of groups has many applications in mathematics and other fields. It is often used in abstract algebra, cryptography, and group theory. In physics, it is used in the study of symmetry and symmetry breaking. It also has applications in computer science, particularly in the study of finite state machines.

Can the direct product/sum of groups be extended to more than two groups?

Yes, the direct product/sum of groups can be extended to any number of groups. For example, the direct product of three groups is given by G1 × G2 × G3, while the direct sum of three groups is written as G1 + G2 + G3. The same principles and operations apply for any number of groups in the direct product/sum.