Direction of current in RC parallel circut

In summary: That said, standard formulas can be a very helpful tool, and when they are used correctly they can be quite accurate.
jaus tail
In the figure below in e1 1.64 why is i(t) negative. When switch is put to S1 position, the capacitor will start discharging. So current will flow from top plate of capacitor to resistor to bottom plate of capacitor.
Where did negative sign come from in eqn. 1.64?
upload_2016-9-22_10-45-19.png

When charging the current through capacitor is C dv/dt, flowing from top to bottom in capacitor leg. Could this have something to do with it?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The equation tells you that when ##i## (as defined in the figure) is positive the voltage across the conductor decreases (which also is equivalent to the charge decreasing). Why do you think there is a problem with that?

Likes jaus tail
Orodruin said:
The equation tells you that when ##i## (as defined in the figure) is positive the voltage across the conductor decreases (which also is equivalent to the charge decreasing).
So if i is positive and the voltage across the conductor is decreasing why is minus sign in equation.
Is it like since voltage across capacitor is decreasing, dv/dt is negative? So to balance the negative dv/dt, we put negative sign in equation to make current positive? I'm confused.

It is easy to get yourself confused here. It is best to start with the standard equation that you have memorised for current into a capacitor, ##i(t) = \displaystyle{C\cdot\frac {dv} {dt}}## and then take its negative because we need the equation for current in the opposite direction.

Thanks. That was clear...

NascentOxygen said:
It is easy to get yourself confused here. It is best to start with the standard equation that you have memorised for current into a capacitor, ##i(t) = \displaystyle{C\cdot\frac {dv} {dt}}## and then take its negative because we need the equation for current in the opposite direction.
I would say even this is not enough. You also need to define what you consider to be positive charge on the capacitor. This will also define what you should consider to be a positive voltage and make it much easier to understand what direction of current increases the charge and which decreases it.

Orodruin said:
I would say even this is not enough. You also need to define what you consider to be positive charge on the capacitor. This will also define what you should consider to be a positive voltage and make it much easier to understand what direction of current increases the charge and which decreases it.
You do need to consider voltage, certainly. But the voltage polarity (or, rather, what we denote as the voltage polarity) is already defined once the direction of current is defined; the two are related by the standard D.E. They are not independent: positive current in contributes positive voltage increment.

NascentOxygen said:
They are not independent: positive current in contributes a positive voltage increment.
This is not so well defined. You still have to define what "in" means. What comes in on one side goes out on the other.

Orodruin said:
This is not so well defined. You still have to define what "in" means. What comes in on one side goes out on the other.
The direction of the current's arrow indicates "in". Once you've drawn one arrow, whether it be iC(t) or vC(t), everything else follows along.

NascentOxygen said:
The direction of the current's arrow indicates "in". Once you've drawn one arrow, whether it be iC(t) or vC(t), everything else follows along.
In that case you would get the wrong sign in this problem, because the voltage v across the capacitor is defined in the opposite way (which is why there is a minus sign).

In general, I would advocate against using "standard" formulas and for thinking.

Capacitor voltage and current are related by a standard D.E., in the same way as resistor voltage and current are related by one Ohm's Law. If those polarities don't suit the notation of the schematic then a negative sign can readily be assigned as appropriate.

Everyone should adopt techniques which succeed best for them.

Related to Direction of current in RC parallel circut

1. What is the direction of current in an RC parallel circuit?

In an RC parallel circuit, the current flows in a direction from the positive terminal of the voltage source, through the resistor, and then splits into two branches: one branch flows through the resistor, while the other branch flows through the capacitor and back to the negative terminal of the voltage source.

2. How does the direction of current change in an RC parallel circuit when the capacitor is fully charged?

When the capacitor is fully charged, it acts as an open circuit, meaning that no current can flow through it. This causes the current in the circuit to decrease, until it eventually stops flowing altogether. Once the capacitor is fully charged, the direction of current remains the same as it was before the capacitor was charged.

3. Does the direction of current change if the resistor or capacitor values are changed in an RC parallel circuit?

No, the direction of current in an RC parallel circuit is determined by the polarity of the voltage source and is not affected by changes in the resistor or capacitor values.

4. What happens to the direction of current if the voltage source is reversed in an RC parallel circuit?

If the voltage source is reversed, the direction of current in the circuit will also reverse. This means that the current will now flow from the negative terminal of the voltage source, through the capacitor, and then split into two branches: one branch flows through the capacitor, while the other branch flows through the resistor and back to the positive terminal of the voltage source.

5. Is there a specific rule for determining the direction of current in an RC parallel circuit?

Yes, the direction of current in an RC parallel circuit is determined by the polarity of the voltage source. The current will always flow from the positive terminal of the voltage source towards the negative terminal.