Direction of Induced EMF (Faradays Law) Confusion

In summary: However, if i(t) is decreasing, then the current will flow in the opposite direction, from the negative terminal of v to the positive terminal of v.
jegues

Homework Statement

See figure attached.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If we attempt to solve part a) in this question we encounter several confusions.

If we assume i(t) to be a positive current, the magnetic flux will flow through the core in a counter clockwise direction.

How are we supposed to deduce the direction of the induced voltage,

[tex]e_{ind}[/tex]

?

If you tell me whether or not i(t) is increasing or decreasing or remaning constant I can then tell you how eind relates to v.

Are we just supposed to assume it is either increasing or decreasing? If so, the relation to v to eind will have a sign difference in each case.

Assume i(t) is increasing,

[tex]e_{ind} = -v = -\frac{d\psi}{dt}[/tex]

Assume i(t) is decreasing,

[tex]e_{ind} = v = -\frac{d\psi}{dt}[/tex]

As you can, depending on which case I assume, my expression of v will change by a negative sign.

This will affect the answer in part b).

How do we know which one to choose?

Attachments

• EindConfusion.JPG
    EindConfusion.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 468
Physics news on Phys.org
Looking at the picture, I take the up arrow to indicate positive current, an increasing current causes the polarity as indicated in the coil N2? So for part b increasing current leads to positive voltage? Any others?

Spinnor said:
an increasing current causes the polarity as indicated in the coil N2

Thus,

[tex]e_{ind} = v = -\frac{d\psi}{dt} = -\frac{250\mu_{0}N_{1}N_{2}d^{2}}{a}\frac{di(t)}{dt}[/tex]

Why does my expression for v turn out to be negative while theirs is positive?

I was told that the expression for eind is always,

[tex]e_{ind} = -\frac{d\psi}{dt}[/tex]

I agree that the positive induced current, if i(t) is increasing, will flow from the positive terminal of v to the negative terminal of v.

Last edited:

Related to Direction of Induced EMF (Faradays Law) Confusion

1. What is the direction of induced EMF according to Faraday's Law?

The direction of induced EMF is always perpendicular to the magnetic field and the direction of the change in the magnetic field. This is known as Lenz's Law.

2. How does the direction of the induced EMF relate to the change in magnetic field?

The direction of the induced EMF is always opposite to the direction of the change in magnetic field. This is based on Lenz's Law, which states that the induced current will always oppose the change in the magnetic field that caused it.

3. Does the direction of motion of the conductor affect the direction of the induced EMF?

Yes, the direction of motion of the conductor also affects the direction of the induced EMF. If the conductor is moving parallel to the magnetic field, no EMF will be induced. However, if the conductor is moving perpendicular to the magnetic field, the induced EMF will be at its maximum.

4. How does the strength of the magnetic field affect the direction of the induced EMF?

The strength of the magnetic field does not affect the direction of the induced EMF. However, a stronger magnetic field will result in a larger induced EMF.

5. Can the direction of the induced EMF be reversed?

Yes, the direction of the induced EMF can be reversed by changing the direction of the change in the magnetic field. This will also change the direction of the induced current according to Lenz's Law.