Direction of Magnetic Force on a Wire: Deciphering Diagrams 1-4

In summary, the force on a wire in an external magnetic field is given by the direction of the thumb.
choco_moo

Homework Statement

Decide from the following list of possibilities what is the appropriate direction of the force on the wire for each of the diagrams 1 through 4:
A up
B down
C left
D right
E into the page
F out of the page
G None of these
H No force

Diagram 1
qx6zjt.gif

Diagram 2
xpwsn4.gif

Diagram 3
2i23bbd.gif

Diagram 4
2eolj0z.gif

Homework Equations

F = IL x B

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using the right hand rule for this. Is it correct that the fingers point in the same direction as the current, thumb in the direction of B and F is the direction the fingers curl? For diagram 1 and 3, I don't get how I'm supposed to position my hand. For diagram 2, I said there is no force because I and B are parallel and going in opposite directions. For diagram 4, is B pointing out of the page? I said that F is up but I'm not 100% sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
The right-hand rule I use is as follows:

For [tex]\vec A \times \vec B = \vec C[/tex]
Lay the side of your palm on the table for A, curl your fingers in the direction of B, and your thumb will point in the direction of C.

For the case of [tex]\frac{\vec F}{I}=\vec \ell \times \vec B[/tex]
The side of your palm is in the direction of the current, your fingers curl in the direction of the B-field, and the force is given by the direction of the thumb.

For the magnetic field produced by a current carrying wire (This question does not refer to this at all! So don't get confused. :)), point your thumb in the direction of the current, and your fingers will curl along the B-field lines.

This image below should help clear things up. It gives three examples. The first is for determining the magnetic field in the vicinity of a current-carrying wire, the second for the force on a current-carrying wire in an external field and the third for a free particle moving under the influence of an external field (Note that here charge matters!)
http://www.uwsp.edu/physastr/kmenning/images/gc6.20.T1.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
That sort of helps so is this how it goes?
diagram 1 = out of the page
diagram 2 = down
diagram 3 = up
diagram 4 = right

No, none of those are correct. Please show your work and we'll see where you went wrong so we know how to avoid that mistake again. :)

For each one, I used the right hand rule. I placed the side of my palm in the direction of I, then I curled my fingers in the direction of B and then the direction my thumb was in was F. I was probably wrong on all of them because I just don't know how my fingers are supposed to curl at the same angle B makes with the wire (like in 1 and 3). And I'm still not totally sure what direction B is in diagram 4.

Nevermind, I got it. It goes EHFB. My hand just wasn't working right.

FAQ: Direction of Magnetic Force on a Wire: Deciphering Diagrams 1-4

1. What is the direction of magnetic force?

The direction of magnetic force is perpendicular to both the magnetic field and the direction of motion of a charged particle.

2. How is the direction of magnetic force determined?

The direction of magnetic force is determined by the right hand rule, which states that if the thumb of the right hand points in the direction of the velocity of a charged particle, and the fingers point in the direction of the magnetic field, then the palm of the hand will point in the direction of the magnetic force acting on the particle.

3. Does the direction of magnetic force change?

Yes, the direction of magnetic force can change depending on the orientation of the magnetic field and the velocity of the charged particle. It can also change if the strength of the magnetic field or the charge of the particle is altered.

4. How does the direction of magnetic force affect charged particles?

The direction of magnetic force can cause charged particles to change their direction of motion, resulting in circular or helical paths. It can also affect the speed of the particles, causing them to accelerate or decelerate.

5. Can the direction of magnetic force be manipulated?

Yes, the direction of magnetic force can be manipulated by changing the orientation, strength, or configuration of the magnetic field. This can be done using magnets, electric currents, or electromagnets.

Back