Direction of Moment: 1200N at A- Clockwise or Counterclockwise?

In summary, the direction of the moment of 1200 N at A can vary depending on whether it is referring to the moment of the force or the reaction moment in the connection of the beam to the wall. However, MA is the reaction moment and it must be equal and opposite to the sum of the moments produced by the force and the weight of the beam. Therefore, the correct moment at A would be in the clockwise direction. The anticlockwise direction is merely the reaction of the moment produced, which is in the opposite direction.
goldfish9776

Homework Statement

Why shouldn't the direction of moment for 1200n at A =clockwise? Why the book gave counterclockwise?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• DSC_0076.JPG
    DSC_0076.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 309
Physics news on Phys.org
It depends if you are talking about the moment of the force (1200 N), which is turning clockwise or if you are looking at the reaction moment in the connection of the beam to the wall (MA), which has to turn counterclockwise to establish the equilibrium. Two moments of the same size in two different directions.

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't look at the drawing well: The moment MA of course must be the sum of the moments produced by the force (1200 N) and the weight of the beam (both with clockwise direction).

Last edited:
stockzahn said:
EDIT: Sorry, I didn't look at the drawing well: The moment MA of course must be the sum of the moments produced by the force (1200 N) and the weight of the beam (both with clockwise direction).
Well, no, as you wrote in the first paragraph MA would be equal and opposite to the sum of those two moments, hence anticlockwise.
Anyway, it really doesn't matter which way it is presumed to be. MA could be taken to be clockwise, and the equations written accordingly. It would then turn out to have a negative value.

the correct
haruspex said:
Well, no, as you wrote in the first paragraph MA would be equal and opposite to the sum of those two moments, hence anticlockwise.
Anyway, it really doesn't matter which way it is presumed to be. MA could be taken to be clockwise, and the equations written accordingly. It would then turn out to have a negative value.
the correct moment would be in clockwise direction , right ? the anticlockwise in merely the reaction of the moment produced which is in opposite direction , am i right ?

haruspex said:
[] ... MA would be equal and opposite to the sum of those two moments, hence anticlockwise.

That was what I meant to say in my EDIT. Sorry for the ambigous expression.

goldfish9776 said:
the correct moment would be in clockwise direction , right ? the anticlockwise in merely the reaction of the moment produced which is in opposite direction , am i right ?
In the textbook extract you posted, MA is the reaction moment. Read it carefully. There is no error there.

Related to Direction of Moment: 1200N at A- Clockwise or Counterclockwise?

1. What is the direction of the moment at point A?

The direction of the moment at point A is clockwise.

2. How much force is acting at point A?

The force acting at point A is 1200N.

3. Is the moment at point A in a clockwise or counterclockwise direction?

The moment at point A is in a clockwise direction.

4. Can the direction of the moment at point A change?

Yes, the direction of the moment at point A can change depending on the direction of the applied force.

5. How does the direction of the moment at point A affect the overall system?

The direction of the moment at point A can determine the rotation of the system. A clockwise moment will cause clockwise rotation, while a counterclockwise moment will cause counterclockwise rotation.