Direction of reflected/refracted light

In summary: Since the waves have wavelength, the interaction can be constructive or destructive. The details matter.In summary, reflection/refraction of light is caused by the absorption of photons by electrons in atoms and is then reflected/refracted with a different wavelength and direction, which is determined by the coherent interaction of the wave with a large number of atoms. The color of an object is determined by the wavelengths of light it reflects or scatters.
theojohn4
Reflection/refraction of light is due to the absorption of photons by electrons in the governing atoms, and is then reflected/refracted with a different wavelength and direction. I understand why the light might be a different colour (wavelength), but I don't understand what causes the incident ray to be reflected/refracted in the direction it does...

My question is: What is stopping the electron emitting the photons in a random direction?

I thought it might have something to do with the absorption of the wave over time with respect to the wavelength of the light, but then red and blue are both reflected in the same direction, so it can't be that.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
theojohn4 said:
Reflection/refraction of light is due to the absorption of photons by electrons in the governing atoms
That is just one of many options.
and is then reflected/refracted with a different wavelength and direction.
A different wavelength is rare.
I understand why the light might be a different colour (wavelength)
Really?
but I don't understand what causes the incident ray to be reflected/refracted in the direction it does...
This is easier to understand if you consider light as wave, similar to water waves. All atoms of the surface are involved in reflection.

A different wavelength is rare? I was under the impression objects are the colour they are due to the wavelengths of light that can be absorbed/emitted. So a red surface will absorb all the light and then emit light in the red frequencies?

A red surface reflects or scatters the red component of the incoming light and absorbs others. If you shine blue light on it, it appears dark/black, not red.

theojohn4 said:
Reflection/refraction of light is due to the absorption of photons by electrons in the governing atoms, and is then reflected/refracted with a different wavelength and direction.
That is wrong. R and R are wave phenomena (even for one photon) caused by the coherent interaction of the wave with
~10^10 atoms.

Related to Direction of reflected/refracted light

What is the difference between reflected and refracted light?

Reflected light is when light bounces off a surface at the same angle it hits it. Refracted light is when light passes through a surface and changes direction.

What affects the direction of reflected light?

The angle of incidence, or the angle at which the light hits the surface, and the angle of reflection, or the angle at which the light bounces off the surface, both affect the direction of reflected light. The type of surface and its properties, such as smoothness and transparency, can also influence the direction of reflected light.

Why does light change direction when it passes through a different medium?

Light changes direction when it passes through a different medium because the speed of light is different in each medium. This change in speed causes the light to bend, or refract, as it travels through the different medium.

In which direction does light refract when passing from a denser medium to a less dense medium?

When passing from a denser medium to a less dense medium, light will refract away from the normal, or the line perpendicular to the surface. This means that the light will bend away from the surface and towards the direction of the less dense medium.

Can the direction of reflected light be predicted?

Yes, the direction of reflected light can be predicted using the law of reflection, which states that the angle of incidence is equal to the angle of reflection. This law applies to smooth, flat surfaces. However, predicting the direction of refracted light is more complex and depends on various factors such as the angle of incidence, the angle of refraction, and the properties of the medium.