Direction of travel of a plane wave given direction of electric field

zenterix
Homework Statement
If you have a plane EM wave whose electric field can be described by

##\vec{E}=-E_0\sin{(k(-y+vt))}\hat{i}##
Relevant Equations
What direction is the wave traveling?
Apparently, the direction of wave propagation is the direction of ##\vec{E}\times\vec{B}##.

From what I have seen so far, given Maxwell's equations, the set of solutions giving plane waves has the characteristics that

1) electric field has only a component in the ##y## direction

2) magnetic field has only a component in the ##z## direction

3) the direction of wave propagation is the direction of ##\vec{E}\times\vec{B}##

For ##\vec{E}=-E_0\sin{(k(-y+vt))}\hat{i}##, it seems that the direction of propagation is the ##+\hat{i}## direction.

Thus, it seems we could have the magnetic field be in one of the directions ##\pm\hat{j}## or ##\pm\hat{k}##.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
zenterix said:
Homework Statement: If you have a plane EM wave whose electric field can be described by

##\vec{E}=-E_0\sin{(k(-y+vt))}\hat{i}##
Relevant Equations: What direction is the wave traveling?

For E→=−E0sin⁡(k(−y+vt))i^, it seems that the direction of propagation is the +i^ direction.
Why do you think that. Details please.

hutchphd said:
Why do you think that. Details please.
I was very confused when I wrote the OP but now less confused.

Consider the expression ##\vec{E}(y,t)=-E_0\sin{(-ky+kvt)}\hat{i}=E_0\sin{(ky-kvt)}##.

Consider a specific time ##t=0##. Then ##\vec{E}(y,0)=E_0\sin{(ky)}\hat{i}##.

This is a function of the coordinate in the ##\hat{j}## direction.

At each ##y## we have an electric field vector pointing somewhere along the ##x## axis, ie, a multiple of ##\hat{i}##.

At ##y=0##, for example, we have ##\vec{E}(0,0)=0##.

At ##y=\pi/2## we have ##\vec{E}(\pi/2,0)=E_0\hat{i}##.

Here is a plot

1716254150890.png

So, what we have for ##t=0## is an entire sine wave along the ##y##-axis.

Now let's consider some other time ##t##.

Assume ##k>0##, ##v>0##.

Note that in ##\sin{(ky-kvt)}## the ##kvt## is just a constant and represents a negative phase angle, which means that we shift the plot seen above to the right (green plot below).

1716254433146.png

The wave, then, seems to be moving in the ##+\hat{j}## direction.

I do have another doubt though.

Fix ##y=0## and consider ##\vec{E}(t)=E_0\sin{(-kvt)}##.

The period of this oscillation seems to be ##2\pi/kv##.

The period of the oscillation when we consider a fixed point in time and consider the oscillation as a function of ##y## is ##2\pi/k##.

I am wondering if this difference comes from a mistake on my part or not. It seems like I must be making a mistake.

zenterix said:
The period of the oscillation when we consider a fixed point in time
What does that even mean????......at a fixed point in time nothing moves oscillitory or not. You need to just relax and think a bit..

hutchphd said:
What does that even mean????......at a fixed point in time nothing moves oscillitory or not. You need to just relax and think a bit..

We have an equation ##\vec{E}(y,t)=E_0\sin{(ky-kvt)}\hat{i}##.

This is a vector-valued function of a vector.

That is, for each point in the ##yt##-plane we have an associated vector ##\vec{E}(y,t)##.

When we fix a time ##t=t_1## we get a function ##\vec{f}(y)=\vec{E}(y,t_1)=E_0\sin{(ky-kvt_1)}##.

This is a sine which, as far as I know, is an oscillation.

It is not an oscillation in time, but rather in ##y##.

Do you disagree?

I wrote of a ##yt##-plane, but this is just the domain of the function. The image is 3d space.

Physically, at the instant ##t_1##, ##\vec{f}(y_1)## tells us the electric field vector at every point in the plane ##y=y_1## located in 3d space. Thus, ##\vec{f}(y)## tells us the electric field vector at every point in space.

When we plot these vectors as a function of ##y## we get a sine function. Again, this is an oscillation.

My doubt is simply that I expected this oscillation to be the same as the oscillation we get when we consider the electric field vectors at one single plane as a function of time.

Is this really that stupid? I feel like there is probably just a constant correction for the fact that the domain in one case is ##y## and in the other case is ##t##. From the formulas, this constant seems to be just ##v##.

I mean, it is actually obvious mathematically from just the original equation for ##\vec{E}(y,t)##.

I want to just make sense of it physically.

Suppose that instead of fixing a value for ##t##, we fix a value for ##y##. For simplicity, suppose that we investigate the function ##\vec{g}(t)=\vec{E}(0,t)##.

##g## tells us the electric field vector at every point on the plane ##y=0##, at time ##t##

$$g(t)=\vec{E}(0,t)=E_0\sin{(-kvt)}$$

which is a sine function.

I realized that

- When I consider the period of an oscillation that is a function of ##y## and get ##2\pi/k##, the unit is a length.

- When I consider the period of an oscillation that is a function of ##t## and get ##2\pi/kv##, the unit is a unit of time.

So, already here there is no good reason to expect them to be the same in magnitude.

However, I think the intuitive explanation is the following.

At a fixed point in time, we have a snapshot of the wave, which has a certain wavelength measured in length units of ##y##.

The wave, mathematically, is an oscillation that is a function of ##y##.

The period of the oscillation is ##2\pi/k##.

On the other hand, when we consider just one point and plot the electric field at that point as a function of time, then we need to consider that the wave (the one we took a snapshot of when we fixed ##t##) is moving with some velocity.

Though the wave itself has a period that is constant, the oscillation of an individual point depends on how fast the wave is moving through that point.

##kv## is simply the angular velocity (when ##t## is the independent variable) and so we divide by this to find the period of the oscillation at a fixed point as a function of time.

In the previous case, ##k## is the angular velocity when we consider ##y## as the independent variable.

Congratulations! You have discovered the difference between frequency and wavelength. As you have found they are related by the wave speed.

Likes hutchphd
Yes the cycle of an harmonic wave in spacce is called the wavelength. The cyclic in time is called the period. For the OP: these are semantics, do you understand that any f(x,t) of the form g(x-vt) is a traveling wave?
Harmonic waves are particularly useful because they are affiliated with harmonic motion, which is how objects in equilibrium usually respond to perturbation from equilibrium

Back