Directional Derivative of a Function in a Given Direction

In summary, a directional derivative is a vector that measures the rate of change of a function in a specific direction. It is calculated by taking the dot product of the gradient vector with the unit vector in the desired direction. This is important because it helps us understand the behavior of a function in different directions and can be used in optimization and motion problems. The directional derivative can be negative, indicating a decrease in the function along the given direction. It is closely related to partial derivatives and can be used to find the rate of change in a specific direction in functions with multiple variables.
gtfitzpatrick

Homework Statement

Find the Directional derivative of [tex]\varphi[/tex] = x2+siny-xz in the direction of i+2j-2k at the point (1, [tex]\pi[/tex]/2 , -3)

The Attempt at a Solution

u = i+2j-2k

[tex]\left|[/tex]u[tex]\left|[/tex] = [tex]\sqrt{1^2+2^2+(-2)^2}[/tex] = 3

[tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] u[tex]\hat{}[/tex] = 1/3i+2/3j-2/3k

[tex]\nabla[/tex][tex]\varphi[/tex] = (2x-z)i+(Cos y)j-xk

at the point (1, [tex]\pi[/tex]/2 , -3)
u[tex]\hat{}[/tex][tex]\nabla[/tex][tex]\varphi[/tex] = 5/3 + 0 +2/3 = 7/3

i think i have this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you have it right.

thanks a mill

Related to Directional Derivative of a Function in a Given Direction

What is a directional derivative?

A directional derivative is a mathematical concept used in vector calculus to determine the rate of change of a function in a specific direction. It is represented by a vector and measures how rapidly the function changes along that direction.

How is a directional derivative calculated?

The directional derivative is calculated by taking the dot product of the gradient vector of the function with the unit vector in the desired direction. This can also be represented as the product of the magnitude of the gradient and the cosine of the angle between the gradient and the direction vector.

What is the significance of the directional derivative?

The directional derivative is important because it allows us to find the slope of a function in a specific direction, which is especially useful in optimization and motion problems. It also helps in understanding the behavior of a function in different directions.

Can the directional derivative be negative?

Yes, the directional derivative can be negative. This means that the function is decreasing along the given direction. A negative directional derivative indicates that the function is decreasing at a faster rate in that direction than in the positive direction.

How does the directional derivative relate to the partial derivatives?

The directional derivative is closely related to the partial derivatives of a function. In fact, when the direction vector is aligned with one of the coordinate axes, the directional derivative is equal to the corresponding partial derivative. The directional derivative can also be used to find the rate of change in a specific direction when the function has multiple variables.