Directional Derivative of a Multivariable Function

In summary, the problem involves finding the directional derivative of a function at a given point in a given direction. The solution involves normalizing the vector and then taking the partial derivative of the function and multiplying it by the vector. The correct answer is -8*sqrt(2) and not -8/sqrt(2).
freecw

Homework Statement

Find the directional derivative of f at P in the direction of a.
f(x,y)=y2lnx; P(1,4); a= -3i + 3j

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I first normalized the vector and got an = -3/(18)^1/2 + 3/(18)^1/2
Then i took the partial derivative and multiplied it by the vector
y2/X(-3/181/2) + 2(y)lnx(3/181/2
Ln(1) = 0 so the whole right side is gone, and after i plug in 1 and 4 on the right side i get -16/21/2. The answer should be -8/21/2. I've done 5 problems like this now and each time I'm off by a negative or a factor or something like that. What am i doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
I get -16/sqrt(2) as well. Are you sure the answer wasn't -8*sqrt(2)? That would be the same thing you have.

Thanks, i just went back and checked the back of the book, the answer is supposed to be -8*sqrt(2) not -8/sqrt(2). Also i didn't notice that -16/sqrt(2) is the same thing as -8*sqrt(2). Thanks for the help.

FAQ: Directional Derivative of a Multivariable Function

What is a directional derivative?

A directional derivative is a measure of the rate of change of a function in a particular direction. It represents the slope of the function along a specific vector.

How is a directional derivative calculated?

The directional derivative is calculated by taking the dot product of the gradient of the function and a unit vector in the desired direction.

What is the significance of directional derivatives in science?

Directional derivatives are important in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics, where understanding the rate of change of a function in a specific direction is crucial for making predictions and solving problems.

Can a directional derivative be negative?

Yes, a directional derivative can be negative if the function is decreasing in the given direction. This indicates a negative slope or downward trend in the function.

How can directional derivatives be used in real-world applications?

Directional derivatives have many practical applications, such as in predicting the movement of particles in fluid dynamics, calculating the rate of change of temperature in a heat transfer problem, or determining the optimal direction for a plane to fly in order to minimize fuel consumption.