Directional derivative of a surface

In summary, the directional derivative of the function z = x3 - y at the point (1, 2, -1) and in the direction of a vector (1,1,1) cannot be taken in three dimensions. However, the dot product of the gradient of the surface with a unit vector in the direction of (1,1,1) can be calculated.
Poley

Homework Statement

What is the directional derivative of the function z = x3 - y at the point (1, 2, -1) and in the direction of a vector (1,1,1)?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If f(x,y) = x3 - y, then ∇f = (3x2, -1) which equals (3, -1) at the given point. Now I understand I have to take the dot product of the gradient with the unit vector (1/√3, 1/√3, 1/√3) but I'm not quite sure how to...

Can a function like z = f(x,y) have a directional derivative in the direction of a three dimensional vector?

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
You are right, you cannot take the directional derivative of f(x,y) in the direction of a vector in three dimensions (unless the z component is zero, in which case you sort of can).

The surface [itex]z= x^3- y[/itex] is given by [itex]x\vec{i}+ y\vec{j}+ (x^3- y)\vec{k}[/itex] the gradient of that vector gives the normal vector and you can take the dot product of that with a unit vector in the direction of [itex]\vec{i}+ \vec{j}+ \vec{k}[/itex]- but I would NOT call that a "directional derivative".

FAQ: Directional derivative of a surface

What is the directional derivative of a surface?

The directional derivative of a surface is the rate of change of a function in a particular direction on the surface. It measures how much the function changes as you move along a specific direction on the surface.

How is the directional derivative of a surface calculated?

The directional derivative of a surface is calculated using the partial derivatives of the function and the direction vector. The formula for calculating the directional derivative is Dvf(x,y) = (∂f/∂x, ∂f/∂y) · (a,b), where a and b are the components of the direction vector v.

What is the significance of the directional derivative of a surface?

The directional derivative of a surface is significant because it helps in determining the rate of change of a function in a particular direction. This information can be useful in analyzing the behavior of a surface and making predictions about its behavior in a given direction.

How does the directional derivative relate to the gradient of a surface?

The directional derivative and the gradient of a surface are closely related. The directional derivative is the dot product of the gradient and the direction vector. This means that the directional derivative is the maximum rate of change of the surface in the direction of the gradient.

What are some applications of the directional derivative of a surface?

The directional derivative of a surface has many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. It is used in optimization problems, to analyze the behavior of surfaces, and to make predictions about the behavior of objects in a given direction. It is also used in computer graphics and computer vision to analyze and manipulate surfaces and images.