Directional Derivative of F: Same for V & 2V?

In summary, the directional derivative of a scalar function at a point 'a' in the direction V is not necessarily the same as the directional derivative at 'a' in the direction 2V, as stated on the Wikipedia page on directional derivatives. This is because the definition given on the page allows for arbitrary vectors to be used, while in some cases, distinct answers are desired for different multiples of the same direction vector.
seeker101
A very basic question:
Is the directional derivative of a scalar function F at some point 'a' in the direction V the same as the directional derivative of F at 'a' in the direction 2V?

Going by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Directional_derivative#Definition" definition of a directional derivative (using a non-normalized direction vector), they appear to be different!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

seeker101 said:
A very basic question:
Is the directional derivative of a scalar function F at some point 'a' in the direction V the same as the directional derivative of F at 'a' in the direction 2V?

Going by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Directional_derivative#Definition" definition of a directional derivative (using a non-normalized direction vector), they appear to be different!
?? The vectors V and 2V have the same direction. I cannot find anywhere on the Wikipedia page that implies thee directional derivative will be different.
For any vector V, the derivative of f in the direction of vector V is
[tex]\frac{\nabla f \cdot V}{||V||}[/itex]
Of course, for vector 2V that becomes
[tex]\frac{\nabla f \cdot 2V}{||2V||}= \frac{2\nabla f \cdot V}{2||V||}= \frac{\nabla f \cdot V}{||V||}[/tex]
exactly the same as before.

So, are you saying http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Directional_derivative#Definition" is flawed? (I'm familiar with the (standard) definition you have mentioned above. But I just wanted to clarify the definition used on that wiki page - which btw references Apostol's Analysis text)

The definition of a directional derivative given there is:
[tex]\nabla_{\vec{v}}f(\vec{x})=\nabla f(\vec{x}) \cdot \vec{v} [/tex]

The wiki page goes on to say: "Usually directions are taken to be normalized, so [tex]\vec{v}[/tex] is a unit vector, although the definition above works for arbitrary vectors."

Wouldn't this mean
[tex]\nabla_{2\vec{v}}f(\vec{x})=\nabla f(\vec{x}) \cdot 2\vec{v} [/tex]?

It certainly seems to be flawed. The way they have it written, it looks to me like, by an appropriate choice of |v|, you can make just about any directional derivative equal to any number you want. Except, well, for perpendicular directions, in which case that formula will actually give the correct answer for v, 2v, 3v, etc.

I mean, you can obviously see the Wiki page is wrong. I'm sure it happens more than you'd think.

It depends what you want it to mean. If I just want "the derivative in the direction of v", then I would divide by the norm of v.

But sometimes you actually want "the derivative along v", in which case you want distinct answers for v, 2v, 3v, etc.

Related to Directional Derivative of F: Same for V & 2V?

1. What is a directional derivative?

A directional derivative is a measure of the rate at which a function changes in a particular direction. It allows us to find the slope of a function in a given direction, rather than just in the x and y directions.

2. How is the directional derivative of F calculated?

The directional derivative of F is calculated using the dot product between the gradient of F and the unit vector in the desired direction. This can be represented by the formula dF/dV = ∇F · V/|V|, where ∇F is the gradient of F and V is the unit vector in the desired direction.

3. What does it mean for the directional derivative to be the same for V and 2V?

If the directional derivative of F is the same for both the unit vector V and a multiple of that vector, 2V, it means that the rate of change of F in the direction of V is equal to the rate of change in the direction of 2V. This can be interpreted as the function changing at the same rate regardless of the magnitude of the direction vector.

4. Can the directional derivative of F be negative?

Yes, the directional derivative of F can be negative. This indicates that the function is decreasing in the direction of the unit vector V. A positive directional derivative indicates that the function is increasing in that direction.

5. In what situations would the directional derivative of F be useful?

The directional derivative of F is useful in many situations, such as optimization problems, where we want to find the steepest ascent or descent of a function in a given direction. It is also used in physics and engineering to calculate the rate of change of a physical quantity in a particular direction.