Directional Derivative Problem

In summary, the speaker has a question about finding the directional derivative of a function in a specific direction. They ask about finding the derivative of the given path and using it as the direction vector, and then finding the unit vector and taking the scalar product with the gradient of the function. The speaker's final answer is 5*sqrt[2]. They also mention that they had copied the problem incorrectly at first, but have now corrected it and it works out. They express gratitude for the help.
meadow
Hello! I have a question about a problem I am trying to work out.

The question asks to find the directional derivative of f(x,y,z)=x^2+yz at the point (1,-3,2) in the direction of the path r(t)=t^2i + 3tj+(1-t^2)k.

Ok, first do I find the derivative of r(t) to get 3j +t(2i-2k) and then use 2i-2k as the direction vector to find the unit vector? Then the unit vector would be
1/sqrt[2] (2i-2k) and then find the scalar product of the unit vector with the gradient of the f function?

my final answer was 5*sqrt[2]. Did I work this out right? I am studying for an exam and that is one of the problems I think will be on it.
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
meadow said:
Hello! I have a question about a problem I am trying to work out.
The question asks to find the directional derivative of f(x,y,z)=x^2+yz at the point (1,-3,2) in the direction of the path r(t)=t^2i + 3tj+(1-t^2)k.
Ok, first do I find the derivative of r(t) to get 3j +t(2i-2k) and then use 2i-2k as the direction vector to find the unit vector? Then the unit vector would be
1/sqrt[2] (2i-2k) and then find the scalar product of the unit vector with the gradient of the f function?
Yes and no. Yes, the "derivative in the direction of the path" is in the direction of the tangent to the path at that point. However, r(t) does go through (1, -3, 2). In order that t2 = 1 and 3t= -1, we must have t= -1 but then z= 1-t2= 0, not 2. Are you sure you copied the proglem correctly? Is it possible that r(t)= t2i+ 3tj+(1+t2)k?
Also, while 3j+ t(2i-2k) is the tangent vector at t, you cannot then get 2i-2k at any point from that. Taking t= 1, you would get 2i+ 3j- 2k (although, of course, r(1)= i+ 3j or (1, 3, 0), not (1, -3, 0).
Assuming that r(t)= t2i+ 3tj+(1+t2)k so that the path goes through (1, -3, 2) when t= -1, then r'= 2ti+ 3j+ 2tk. At t= -1, that is -2i+ 3j- 2k which has length [itex]\sqrt{17}[/itex] so a tangent vector is [itex]\frac{-2}{\sqrt{17}}i+ \frac{3}{\sqrt{17}}j- \frac{2}{\sqrt{17}}k[/itex]. Take the dot product of that with the gradient of f.

my final answer was 5*sqrt[2]. Did I work this out right? I am studying for an exam and that is one of the problems I think will be on it.
Thanks!

Thanks!

Thank you so much! First of all, I did copy the problem wrong...the last part of the equation was (1-t^3)k. So, it works out! I don't know why I thought that just taking the derivative of r(t) and then using that would work!

Thanks again!

Related to Directional Derivative Problem

What is a directional derivative?

A directional derivative is a measure of the rate of change of a function in a particular direction. It is used in multivariable calculus to calculate how a function changes as you move along a specific vector in its domain.

How is the directional derivative calculated?

The directional derivative is calculated using the gradient of the function and the unit vector representing the direction in which the derivative is being taken. It can be found by taking the dot product of the gradient vector and the unit vector.

What is the significance of the directional derivative in real-world applications?

The directional derivative is important in many fields, including physics, engineering, and economics. It can be used to find the maximum rate of change for a function, which is useful in optimization problems. It can also be applied to study the behavior of fluids, electric fields, and other physical phenomena.

What is the difference between the directional derivative and the partial derivative?

The directional derivative is a generalization of the partial derivative, which measures the rate of change of a function in a specific direction. While partial derivatives are taken with respect to a single variable, directional derivatives can be taken along any direction in the function's domain.

How can I use the directional derivative to solve a problem?

To solve a problem using the directional derivative, you will need to first find the gradient of the function and then determine the unit vector that represents the direction in which you want to take the derivative. Once you have these values, you can use the formula for the directional derivative to calculate the rate of change of the function in that direction.