Discharging a Capacitor: How Long Does it Take?

In summary, a capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in the form of an electric field. The time to discharge a capacitor refers to how long it takes for the stored energy to be released. This can be calculated using the formula t = RC, where t is the time, R is the resistance, and C is the capacitance. Factors such as capacitance, resistance, voltage, and dielectric material can affect the time to discharge. It is important to understand this concept in order to design and analyze electronic circuits effectively and safely.
Jimmy25

Homework Statement

What is the shortest time after which there would be no measurable charge on a 5.0 microfarad capacitor that is charged, then discharged across a 2000 ohm resistance.

a. 0.001 s
b. 0.5 s
c. 10 s
d. 3600 s

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

According to the time constant the charge on the capacitor should decrease by a factor of 1/e every 0.01 s according to my calculation.

I don't know how to answer the question though.

Physics news on Phys.org
How much charge is considered unmeasurable?

Last edited:
That's my question. How do I answer this without knowing that?

Related to Discharging a Capacitor: How Long Does it Take?

What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in the form of an electric field. It is made up of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material called a dielectric.

What is the time to discharge a capacitor?

The time to discharge a capacitor refers to the amount of time it takes for the stored electrical energy to be completely released from the capacitor.

How is the time to discharge a capacitor calculated?

The time to discharge a capacitor can be calculated using the formula t = RC, where t is the time in seconds, R is the resistance in ohms, and C is the capacitance in farads.

What factors affect the time to discharge a capacitor?

The time to discharge a capacitor can be affected by the capacitance, resistance, and voltage of the circuit. It can also be affected by the type of dielectric material used in the capacitor.

Why is understanding the time to discharge a capacitor important?

Understanding the time to discharge a capacitor is important in designing and analyzing electronic circuits. It allows for proper selection of components and helps ensure the safe operation of the circuit.