Discover Positive Real Solutions in a System of Equations

• MHB
  • Thread starter anemone
  • Start date
In summary, the system of equations involves 100 variables where each variable is related to the next by a fraction, and the sum of each variable and its reciprocal is equal to either 1 or 4. By using the AM-GM inequality and solving for equality, we find that all positive real solutions of the system are $a_1=2,\,a_2=\dfrac{1}{2},\,\cdots,\,a_{99}=2,\,a_{100}=\dfrac{1}{2}$.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Find all positive real solutions of the system below:

$a_1+\dfrac{1}{a_2}=4,\,a_2+\dfrac{1}{a_3}=1,\cdots,a_{99}+\dfrac{1}{a_{100}}=4,\,a_{100}+\dfrac{1}{a_1}=1$

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Every term, $a_i$ can be expressed by $a_1$ as follows:
\[a_k = \frac{(k-1)-(\frac{k}{2}-1)a_1}{2k-(k-1)a_1} \; \; \; \; k = 2,4,..,100. \\\\\\ a_j = \frac{2(j-1)-(j-2)a_1}{j-\left ( \frac{j-1}{2} \right )a_1}\; \; \; j =1,3,5,..,99. \\\\\\ a_{100}=\frac{99-49a_1}{200-99a_1}\; \; \; \; \; \;and\;\;\;\;\; a_{100}+\frac{1}{a_1}=1\Rightarrow a_1^2-4a_1+4 = 0\]
The positive (and only) solution is: $a_1 = 2$

So
\[a_k = \frac{1}{2}\; \; \; k = 2,4,..,100 \\\\ a_j = 2\; \; \; \; j = 1,3,..,99\]

Thanks for participating, lfdahl! :) I think it really is a great idea to relate $a_{100}$ with $a_1$ again and with the two well defined formulas, how to solve further would then be as clear as daylight. Well done!:)

Another method that I saw online that I would like to share:

By AM-GM:

$a_1+\dfrac{1}{a_2}\ge2\sqrt{\dfrac{a_1}{a_2}},\,\cdots,\,a_{100}+\dfrac{1}{a_1}\ge2\sqrt{\dfrac{a_{100}}{a_1}}$

Multiplying we get

$\left( a_1+\dfrac{1}{a_2} \right)\left( a_2+\dfrac{1}{a_3} \right)\cdots\left( a_{100}+\dfrac{1}{a_1} \right)\ge2^{100}$,

From the system of equations we get

$\left( a_1+\dfrac{1}{a_2} \right)\left( a_2+\dfrac{1}{a_3} \right)\cdots\left( a_{100}+\dfrac{1}{a_1} \right)=2^{100}$,

so all thoseinequalities are equalities, i.e.

$a_1+\dfrac{1}{a_2}=2\sqrt{\dfrac{a_1}{a_2}}$

$\left(\sqrt{a_1}-\dfrac{1}{\sqrt{a_2}} \right)^2=0,\,\,\,\rightarrow a_1=\dfrac{1}{a_2}$

and analogously $a_2=\dfrac{1}{a_3},\,\cdots,\,a_{100}=\dfrac{1}{a_1}$.

Hence, we get $a_1=2,\,a_2=\dfrac{1}{2},\,\cdots\,,a_{99}=2,\,a_{100}=\dfrac{1}{2}$.

Related to Discover Positive Real Solutions in a System of Equations

1. What does "find all real solutions" mean?

"Find all real solutions" is a common mathematical phrase used to describe the process of finding all possible values for a given equation or problem that result in a real number solution. This means that the solution must be a number that can be plotted on a number line and is not imaginary or complex.

2. How do you find all real solutions to an equation?

To find all real solutions to an equation, you must first simplify the equation to its simplest form. Then, you can use various algebraic methods such as factoring, substitution, or the quadratic formula to solve for the variable. It is important to check your solutions and make sure they are valid for the original equation.

3. Can an equation have more than one real solution?

Yes, an equation can have multiple real solutions. This means that there are multiple values for the variable that satisfy the equation and result in a real number solution. For example, the equation x^2 = 4 has two real solutions: x = 2 and x = -2.

4. Are there any equations that do not have real solutions?

Yes, there are equations that do not have real solutions. These are known as imaginary or complex solutions. For example, the equation x^2 = -4 does not have any real solutions, but it does have two imaginary solutions: x = 2i and x = -2i.

5. Why is it important to find all real solutions to an equation?

Finding all real solutions to an equation is important because it provides a complete understanding of the problem and allows for a more accurate analysis and interpretation. It also ensures that all possible solutions are considered, rather than just a single solution. Additionally, in some cases, finding all real solutions may be necessary for further mathematical or scientific applications.