Discover the Answer to This Mind-Boggling Riddle About Average Speeds

In summary, the average speed of the car is 48 km/hr, calculated using the harmonic mean of the two speeds (40 km/hr and 60 km/hr) for the distance of one unit. This is often a common mistake, as people tend to use the arithmetic mean instead.
Tom McCurdy
You drive a car at a speed of 40 km/hr to a place and then 60 km/hr back... what is the average speed of the car.

I feel really stupid for asking this but its really making me mad..

Physics news on Phys.org
hahaha as soon as i posted it it was so obvious...

Set distance equal to one

t1=1/40 t2=1/60

[tex]\frac{\Delta d}{\Delta t}=avg vel[/tex]

[tex]\frac{2}{\frac{1}{40}+\frac{1}{60}} [/tex]

Which produces 48 km/hr as answer

You are correct. Often people make the obvious mistake to take the arithmetic mean, being (40+60)/2 = 50 but in this case, you need the harmonic mean :smile:

[tex]\frac{2}{\frac{1}{40}+\frac{1}{60}} [/tex]
harmonic mean could be calculated slightly easier:
[tex]\frac{v_1 v_2}{\frac{v_1 + v_2}{2}}[/tex]

Last edited:

Related to Discover the Answer to This Mind-Boggling Riddle About Average Speeds

1. What is the answer to the "Stupid Riddle that is driving me mad"?

The answer to the "Stupid Riddle that is driving me mad" is not known as it is intentionally designed to be unsolvable.

2. Why is the "Stupid Riddle that is driving me mad" considered stupid?

The "Stupid Riddle that is driving me mad" is considered stupid because it lacks logical reasoning and a clear solution, causing frustration and confusion.

3. Is there a deeper meaning behind the "Stupid Riddle that is driving me mad"?

No, the "Stupid Riddle that is driving me mad" is simply meant to be a nonsensical and frustrating puzzle with no deeper meaning or hidden message.

4. Can the "Stupid Riddle that is driving me mad" be solved with creative thinking?

No, the "Stupid Riddle that is driving me mad" is intentionally designed to have no logical solution and therefore cannot be solved with creative thinking.

5. Why do people continue to try and solve the "Stupid Riddle that is driving me mad"?

People continue to try and solve the "Stupid Riddle that is driving me mad" because it is a fun and challenging brain teaser, even though it may seem frustrating at times.