Discover the Spectacular Sky Color on a K4.5V Main Sequence Star"

• Thread starter Chinspinner
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Colour Sky
In summary: But these happen at slightly different rates. Notably, as Sun sinks, the brightness of Sun decreases relative to the decreasing brightness of sky above. Whereas Epsilon Indi high in sky may look like Sun low in the sky in its brightness and colour, but the brightness and colour of the sky may look like Earth sky with Sun even lower. So the shadows cast by Epsilon Indi should look slightly more contrasting than shadows cast by Sun.In summary, Epsilon Indi would have a sky that is lighter in colour and has more contrast in shadows than Earth.
Chinspinner
Hi,

If you were to half Earth's orbit around a K4.5V main sequence star (assuming the same composition and density of atmosphere), what colour would the sky be?

Thanks in advance.

Chinspinner

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Thread closed for Moderation...

Reopened not homework related.

Chinspinner said:
Hi,

If you were to half Earth's orbit around a K4.5V main sequence star (assuming the same composition and density of atmosphere), what colour would the sky be?

Thanks in advance.

Chinspinner

What are your thoughts?

berkeman said:
What are your thoughts?

I forgot to mention that the star has a luminosity of about 0.25, hence the earth-like planet being in closer orbit.

Part of me is thinking that light will scatter in the same way as on Earth towards the blue wavelength. However, the light the star is emitting will be more towards the red wavelength, and I am not sure if the relative proximity of the planet will make a significant difference (towards violet).

I am imagining a more diffused light and perhaps a more yellow sky, but this is what I need help with.

Last edited:
Chinspinner said:
I forgot to mention that the star has a luminosity of about 0.25, hence the earth-like planet being in closer orbit.
With K5, it is roughly the description of epsilon Indi. Whose colour index is 1,06.
Chinspinner said:
Part of me is thinking that light will scatter in the same way as on Earth towards the blue wavelength. However, the light the star is emitting will be more towards the red wavelength, and I am not sure if the relative proximity of the planet will make a significant difference (towards violet).
No. There is nearly no extinction or reddening in the nearly empty space inside Earth orbit.
Chinspinner said:
I am imagining a more diffused light and perhaps a more yellow sky, but this is what I need help with.
Less blue, yes, but I´m imagining less diffused light. Because there is less blue light to be diffused.

Last edited:
snorkack said:
With K5, it is roughly the description of epsilon Indi. Whose colour index is 1,06.

No. There is nearly no extinction or reddening in the nearly empty space inside Earth orbit.

Less blue, yes, but I´m imagining less diffused light. Because there is less blue light to be diffused.

Thanks. It is Epsilon Indi, so I would also have more distant brown dwarves to add into the mix. So we are effectively looking at an earth-like sky but perhaps a lighter shade of pale and a reddish sun?

Last edited:
Chinspinner said:
Thanks. It is Epsilon Indi, so I would also have more distant brown dwarves to add into the mix. So we are effectively looking at an earth-like sky but perhaps a lighter shade of pale and a reddish sun?
Yes.
Note that ALL these effects happen on Earth as the altitude of Sun decreases. Sun gets both dimmer and redder as it approaches horizon in the evening, the sky also gets less bright as well as a paler shade of blue.

But these happen at slightly different rates. Notably, as Sun sinks, the brightness of Sun decreases relative to the decreasing brightness of sky above. Whereas Epsilon Indi high in sky may look like Sun low in the sky in its brightness and colour, but the brightness and colour of the sky may look like Earth sky with Sun even lower. So the shadows cast by Epsilon Indi should look slightly more contrasting than shadows cast by Sun.

Likes Chinspinner

Related to Discover the Spectacular Sky Color on a K4.5V Main Sequence Star"

1. Why is the sky blue?

The sky appears blue because of a phenomenon known as Rayleigh scattering. This is when sunlight hits the Earth's atmosphere and is scattered in all directions by the gases and particles in the air. Blue light has a shorter wavelength and is scattered more easily, making the sky appear blue to our eyes.

2. Why does the sky sometimes appear to be different colors?

The color of the sky can vary depending on factors such as the amount of water vapor, dust, and pollution in the air. These particles can scatter different wavelengths of light, causing the sky to appear red, orange, or even purple at times.

3. Why does the sky turn red or orange during sunrise and sunset?

During sunrise and sunset, the sunlight travels through more of the Earth's atmosphere, which scatters out most of the blue light. This leaves behind more of the longer wavelength red, orange, and yellow light, giving the sky a warm and vibrant color.

4. Does the color of the sky change in different parts of the world?

Yes, the color of the sky can vary in different parts of the world due to differences in atmospheric conditions and the angle at which sunlight hits the Earth's surface. For example, in polar regions, the sky can appear more purple or green due to the presence of high-altitude particles and the angle of the sun's rays.

5. Can the color of the sky tell us anything about the weather?

Yes, the color of the sky can give us clues about the weather. A bright blue sky usually indicates fair weather, while a dark or gray sky can suggest rain or storms. Changes in the color of the sky can also signal the arrival of a cold front or other weather patterns.