Discovering Anomalies: Extra-Galactic Meteor Observed by Russian Scientists"

• Thread starter neutrino
  • Start date
In summary, a researcher observed a faint meteor with anomalies while using a telescope in 2006. The data suggests that the meteor may have been extra-galactic, but this conclusion is not confirmed. Some skeptics question the evidence, citing that the high velocity and composition of the meteor are not definitive proof.
neutrino
Somehow, I find news items such as this one much more interesting to read than those about maps of dark-matter halos and things of that nature. (Not that I'm uninterested in the latter.)

On July 28, 2006, Victor Afanasiev from the Russian Academy of Sciences was making observations using a 6 meter telescope equipped with a multi-slit spectrometer. By chance, he observed the spectrum of a faint meteor as it burned up in the Earth’s atmosphere, and in looking at the data, found several anomalies.

http://www.universetoday.com/2008/01/25/researchers-observe-extra-galactic-meteor/

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Is it something you want to discuss / ask ?

Just posting a news item (I thought this was a bit serious for GD. :biggrin:), although a discussion would be good. It's not confirmed to be an extra-galactic meteor, and hence the '?'.

Might have just been moving 80kps with respect to the center of the galaxy.

I don't see why it isn't possible for an extragalactic meteor to hit us, with tons of debris floating around up there. Pretty cool stuff imo.

I am skeptical. The article largely bases the extra-galactic conclusion on the high velocity, but then they go on to analyze 246 meteors in 36 hours and claim 12 may have been extra-galactic based on velocity alone. That seems very improbable.

Then they bolster the extra-galactic conclusion on the spectra showing the composition of iron, magnesium, and oxygen; but that is what is found in meteorites routinely.

Related to Discovering Anomalies: Extra-Galactic Meteor Observed by Russian Scientists"

1. What is an extra-galactic meteor?

An extra-galactic meteor is a meteor or small piece of debris that enters Earth's atmosphere from outside of our own galaxy, the Milky Way. Most meteors originate from objects within our own solar system, but occasionally a meteor from a different galaxy will make its way to Earth.

2. How common are extra-galactic meteors?

Extra-galactic meteors are extremely rare, with only a handful of confirmed cases in recorded history. This is because the vast majority of meteors come from within our own solar system, and the distance between galaxies is too great for meteors to easily travel between them.

3. How are extra-galactic meteors identified?

Extra-galactic meteors are identified by their unique composition and trajectory. Scientists can analyze the chemical makeup of the meteor and track its path through the sky to determine its origin. Additionally, the speed and angle of entry can also provide clues about its origin outside of our galaxy.

4. What can we learn from studying extra-galactic meteors?

Studying extra-galactic meteors can provide valuable information about the composition and formation of objects outside of our own galaxy. By analyzing the chemical makeup of these meteors, scientists can gain insight into the materials and processes that exist in other galaxies.

5. Could an extra-galactic meteor pose a threat to Earth?

The chances of an extra-galactic meteor posing a threat to Earth are extremely low. Due to the vast distances between galaxies, the likelihood of a meteor making it from another galaxy to Earth is very slim. Additionally, our atmosphere provides protection from most meteors, including those from outside of our galaxy.

Back