Discovering Astrology: A Print-Friendly Guide to Understanding the Stars

• Thread starter DoAPoodle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, the author believes that astrology is nonsense and that it is easy to confuse science with pseudoscience.
DoAPoodle
I was wondering if anyone could point in the direction of a book about astrology, the stuff yall talk about, that i can print out n read off of tha net. thankya for helpin!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I hope you mean Astronomy and not Astrology, because one is nonsense and the other is reality based. If you meant Astronomy, we can help you, but if you meant Astrology we can’t. :biggrin:

lol my bad

astronomy of course man... but i am very fond of astrology... but yea, astronomy, any free books on the internet that r good for research?

DoAPoodle said:
astronomy of course man... but i am very fond of astrology... but yea, astronomy, any free books on the internet that r good for research?

It’s an honest mistake, a lot of people confuse the two, in fact astronomy in a way came out of astrology, and many famous astronomers were also astrologers, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johannes_Kepler" for example. Some chose to do astronomy as well as astrology simply because it was their main source of income, (society once had more of a need for astrology) but nowadays astronomy is recognized for its contribution to scientific understanding of the universe, and what can be said of astrology? Well it’s still as popular as ever, and I guess people still have a need for it, but no astronomer can practice both disciplines and still expect any respect from his peers.

There are some free books http://ads.harvard.edu/books/"

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you

Thank You, Sirs. cool ill check those sites out. I did mix them up cause i heard either Nostradamus or someone who predicted events used both, and that back then people were well paid for their knowledge of the stars. Astrology is more like zodiac stuff n psychic cosmic n yada eh? I saw a quote a guy put on a post n it was like how twins used one half of the astro...somethin, chart each. planets and constellations give us part of our identities, its all very confusing. Anyway, yeah, thank you guys ill check it out.

DoAPoodle said:
Thank You, Sirs. cool ill check those sites out. I did mix them up cause i heard either Nostradamus or someone who predicted events used both, and that back then people were well paid for their knowledge of the stars. Astrology is more like zodiac stuff n psychic cosmic n yada eh? I saw a quote a guy put on a post n it was like how twins used one half of the astro...somethin, chart each. planets and constellations give us part of our identities, its all very confusing. Anyway, yeah, thank you guys ill check it out.

Come on DoAPoodle, you're 19 years old and you come from a civilized country. Are you actually saying you believe in astrology?

EL said:
Come on DoAPoodle, you're 19 years old and you come from a civilized country. Are you actually saying you believe in astrology?

Actually, one of the PF mentors is big into astrology. I think it's complete nonsense, but it has been discussed in great detail here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=85863"

I vote for complete nonsence. Causality is my mantra... it breaks down at the Planck scale, but so does everything else.

A recent book I read by Michael Shermer might put things into perspective.

What is going on in our culture and thinking that leads to such beliefs ? Theories proffered by skeptics and scientists abound: no education, miseducation, lack of critical thinking, rise of religion, decline of religion, displacement of traditional religion by cults, fear of science, the New Age, the Dark Ages revisited, too much television, not enough reading, reading the wrong books, poor parenting, lousy teachers, and plain old ignorance and stupidity. A correspondent from Ontario, Canada, sent me what he called "the vilest embodiment of what you are up against." It was a Day- Glo orange cardboard sign from his local bookstore on which was scrawled: NEW AGE SECTION MOVED TO SCIENCE SECTION. "I am truly frightened by the ease with which society is substituting voodoo and superstition for inquiry and critical examination," he wrote. "If there was ever to be an icon showing how far this phenomenon has ingrained itself into our culture, then this sign would surely be it." As a culture we seem to have trouble distinguishing science from pseudoscience, history from pseudohistory, and sense from nonsense. But I think the problem lies deeper than this. To get to it we must dig through the layers of culture and society into the individual human mind and heart. There is not a single answer to the question of why people believe weird things, but we can glean some underlying motivations, all linked to one another, from the diverse examples I have discussed in this book: Credo Consolans. More than any other, the reason people believe weird things is because they want to. It feels good. It is comforting. It is consoling. According to a 1996 Gallup poll, 96 percent of American adults believe in God, 90 percent in heaven, 79 percent in miracles, and 72 percent in angels (Wall Street journal, January 30, p. A8). Skeptics, atheists, and militant antireligionists , in their attempts to undermine belief in a higher power, life after death, and divine providence, are butting up against ten thousand years of history and possibly one hundred thousand years of evolution (if religion and belief in God have a biological basis, which some anthropologists believe they do). Throughout all of recorded history, everywhere on the globe, such beliefs and similar percentages are common. Until a suitable secular substitute surfaces, these figures are unlikely to change significantly….

Vast said:
According to a 1996 Gallup poll, 96 percent of American adults believe in God, 90 percent in heaven, 79 percent in miracles, and 72 percent in angels
OMG! I knew it was bad, but not that bad!
It's really scary US is dominating the world...
(Sorry for going off topic.)

Just to butt in and agree that astrology is nonsense, may I make a plea that not all forms of religion are to be lumped together as anti-science.

BTW In my local bookshop the science section (what there was of it) was moved into the 'New Age' section, now that really is scary!

Garth

If you believe in 'first principles', how can you disagree with the concept of 'God'. That is what convinced me.

Im religious EL, not orthodox but liberal sorta. If you believe that we, our souls, create the events in our lives to learn from them then in my mind it's possible that astrology can be a controlled event. Pardon me, but holy hell do you guys lose me sometimes lol. I see why u can't be disciplined in both and be equally respected. Like that quote says, i believe in it because its comforting at times, though when i hear bad news in my zodiac pages i shrug it off as sum1 else's horoscope lol... but yea, astroNomy is the truth, thank yall for provin to me dat. Cant promise i won't still be interested in learning bout astrology tho, lol.

Garth said:
Just to butt in and agree that astrology is nonsense, may I make a plea that not all forms of religion are to be lumped together as anti-science.
Sure, not all. But most...:wink:

BTW In my local bookshop the science section (what there was of it) was moved into the 'New Age' section, now that really is scary!
Garth
:eek:

Chronos said:
If you believe in 'first principles', how can you disagree with the concept of 'God'. That is what convinced me.
Could you define "first principles"?

Please do, because i dunno/never heard of dat

DoAPoodle said:
Like that quote says, i believe in it because its comforting at times, though when i hear bad news in my zodiac pages i shrug it off as sum1 else's horoscope lol...
So, to me it sounds like you're not really believing in astrology, right?:wink:

Please do, because i dunno/never heard of dat.

Garth said:

Actually, that was the very distinction I was trying to emphasize in that thread I linked. Astrology's claims are, I think, falsifiable, while those of religion are usually not. It's mainly for this reason that I wouldn't lump them together.

EL said:
If you like astrology, this might be a good place to start:
http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/misc/astrology.html
A month or so ago, the BadAstronomy discussion forum (run by Phil Plait) merged with the Universe Today website (run by Fraser Cain), to form the BAUT forum.

In their "ATM" section (against the mainstream), there is a thread devoted to discussion of astrology: http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=19599".

Declaration of interest: I am a moderator in BAUT (as well as a 'SuperMentor' here in PF).

Ok ok

ok so i don't really believe in it. But i bet u can agree that, if u ever read ur horoscope, when they mention something that really has to do with current events in ur life, that its usually good to take it in as advice, for better or for worse...

DoAPoodle said:
ok so i don't really believe in it. But i bet u can agree that, if u ever read ur horoscope, when they mention something that really has to do with current events in ur life, that its usually good to take it in as advice, for better or for worse...

Sorry, I can not agree.:cool:

FAQ: Discovering Astrology: A Print-Friendly Guide to Understanding the Stars

1. What is astrology?

Astrology is a study of the movements and relative positions of celestial bodies interpreted as having an influence on human affairs and the natural world. It is often used to gain insight into an individual's personality, relationships, and future events.

2. How is astrology different from astronomy?

Astronomy is a scientific study of celestial objects and phenomena, while astrology is a belief system that asserts a connection between the positions of the planets and human events and behavior. Astronomy relies on empirical evidence and scientific methods, while astrology is not considered a science.

3. How do astrologers make predictions?

Astrologers use a combination of techniques, including analyzing the positions of the planets, interpreting birth charts, and studying the movements of the stars and constellations. They also take into account the individual's birth date, time, and location to make predictions about their personality traits, relationships, and future events.

4. Is astrology considered a valid form of divination?

This is a matter of personal belief. Some people find value in astrology as a tool for self-discovery and gaining insight into their lives, while others do not believe in its validity or accuracy. It is important to approach astrology with an open mind and use it as a tool for self-reflection rather than relying solely on it for making important decisions.

5. Can astrology be used for medical or financial advice?

Astrology cannot be used as a substitute for professional medical or financial advice. While some astrologers may claim to have the ability to predict health or financial outcomes, it is important to consult with qualified professionals for these matters. Astrology should be used as a tool for self-discovery and reflection, not as a replacement for medical or financial guidance.