Discovering Patterns in Integrals: Investigating Families of Functions Using CAS

In summary, a student is trying to solve an indefinite integral using a CAS and makes a conjecture about the value of the integral. He is stuck on the last integral and needs help from a mentor to approve the file first.
lunus

Homework Statement

Hi, I am doing this discovery project called patterns in integrals i found in my calculus textbook. I have to use a CAS (I'm using Maple) to investigate indefinite integrals of families of functions. Then by observing the patterns that occur in the integrals, i have to first guess, and then prove, a general formula for the integral of any member of the family. there are four different familes and I am done with three of them, but stuck on the last one. I would appreciate any help. The question and what I have done so far is on the pdf attachment.

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt is on the pdf file i attached.

Attachments

• patterns.pdf
    115.9 KB · Views: 437
Physics news on Phys.org
Please post the actual family here, since we have to wait for a mentor to approve the file first. I'm sure we can help you though, so that's some reassurance for you =] Welcome to Physicsforums!

(a) use a CAS to evaluate the following integrals (I used maple)

[tex]\int{xe^{x}}dx = \left( x-1 \right) {e^{x}}[/tex]
[tex]\int{x^{2}e^{x}}dx = \left( 2-2\,x+{x}^{2} \right) {e^{x}}[/tex]
[tex]\int{x^{3}e^{x}}dx = \left( -6+6\,x-3\,{x}^{2}+{x}^{3} \right) {e^{x}}[/tex]
[tex]\int{x^{4}e^{x}}dx = \left( 24-24\,x+12\,{x}^{2}-4\,{x}^{3}+{x}^{4} \right) {e^{x}}[/tex]
[tex]\int{x^{5}e^{x}}dx = \left( -120+120\,x-60\,{x}^{2}+20\,{x}^{3}-5\,{x}^{4}+{x}^{5}
\right) {e^{x}}
[/tex]

(b) based on the patterns of your responses in part (a), guess the value of [tex]\int{x^{6}e^{x}}dx[/tex] Then use your CAS to check your answer.

This was my guess: [tex]e^{x}(x^{6}-6x^{5}+30x^{4}-120x^{3}+360x^{2}-720x+720)[/tex] and maple returned the same answer.

(c) based on the pattern in parts (a) and (b), make a conjecture as to the value of the integral
[tex]\int{x^{n}e^{x}}dx[/tex]
when n is a positive integer

This is what i came up with: [tex]\sum_{i=0}^{n}\frac{x!}{i!}n!e^{x}
[/tex]
Now this is where I am stuck because i know this is not correct.
I figured it has something to do with factorial or series.

(d) use mathematical induction to prove the conjecture you made in part (c)

Last edited:
Hmm..not quite sure you got that right, here's a better approach:
Define a sequence as follows:
[tex]F_{n}=\int{x}^{n}e^{x}=x^{n}e^{x}-nF_{n-1}[/tex]
Thus, we have:
[tex]F_{n}+nF_{n-1}=x^{n}e^{x}[/tex]

Assume a solution as follows:
[tex]F_{n}=(-1)^{n}n!e^{x}{\sum_{i=0}^{n}a_{i}x^{i}[/tex]
Thus, inserting in our difference equation, we get:
[tex]e^{x}n!(-1)^{n}a_{n}x^{n}=x^{n}e^{x}\to{a}_{n}=\frac{(-1)^{n}}{n!}[/tex]

Therefore, we get:
[tex]F_{n}=}=(-1)^{n}n!e^{x}{\sum_{i=0}^{n}\frac{(-x)^{i}}{i!}[/tex]

Last edited:
I appreciate your help arildno. thank you!

arildno said:
Hmm..not quite sure you got that right, here's a better approach:
Define a sequence as follows:
[tex]F_{n}=\int{x}^{n}e^{x}=x^{n}e^{x}-nF_{n-1}[/tex]
Thus, we have:
[tex]F_{n}+nF_{n-1}=x^{n}e^{x}[/tex]

Assume a solution as follows:
[tex]F_{n}=(-1)^{n}n!e^{x}{\sum_{i=0}^{n}a_{i}x^{i}[/tex]
Thus, inserting in our difference equation, we get:
[tex]e^{x}n!(-1)^{n}a_{n}x^{n}=x^{n}e^{x}\to{a}_{n}=\frac{(-1)^{n}}{n!}[/tex]

Therefore, we get:
[tex]F_{n}=}=(-1)^{n}n!e^{x}{\sum_{i=0}^{n}\frac{(-x)^{i}}{i!}[/tex]

I have one more question. I am a little loss on how to use mathematical induction to prove this, can u help me. thank you.

The mathematical induction step is taken care of by setting up the difference equation, valid for all n

thanks

ive tried but no luck, I am not good with mathematical induction.

Related to Discovering Patterns in Integrals: Investigating Families of Functions Using CAS

What are patterns in integrals?

Patterns in integrals refer to the repetitive nature of certain integrals, where the same integral can be used to solve multiple problems with similar structures.

Why are patterns in integrals important?

Patterns in integrals can help simplify and speed up the process of solving integrals, making it easier to solve more complex problems. They also allow for a deeper understanding of the underlying concepts in calculus.

What are some common patterns in integrals?

Some common patterns in integrals include the power rule, the substitution rule, and the integration by parts rule. These patterns allow for the simplification and ease of solving certain types of integrals.

How can I identify patterns in integrals?

To identify patterns in integrals, it is important to familiarize yourself with the different rules and techniques used in integration. This includes understanding the properties of the integrand and recognizing when certain rules can be applied.

Can patterns in integrals be applied to all integrals?

No, not all integrals follow a specific pattern. Some integrals may require unique techniques or methods to solve. However, understanding and recognizing patterns in integrals can make the process of solving integrals more efficient and effective.