Discovering Rational Roots for Simplifying Polynomials

• MHB
  • Thread starter theakdad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polynomial
In summary: So we let:f(x)=x^3-9x^2+27x-27and when we find a number $k$ from the list such that:f(k)=0then we know $x-k$ is a factor, and we may use polynomial or synthetic division to get:f(x)=(x-k)P(x)And then we see if we can then further factor $P(x)$.
theakdad
I wonder what are the tecniques,or what is the easiest way to simplify given polynomial:

\(\displaystyle x^3-9x^2+27x-27\)

If possible,without Horners algorithm. Thank you!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Perhaps if you write it as:

\(\displaystyle x^3+3x^2(-3)+3x(-3)^2+(-3)^3\)

Does this look like a familiar expansion?

MarkFL said:
Perhaps if you write it as:

\(\displaystyle x^3+3x^2(-3)+3x(-3)^2+(-3)^3\)

Does this look like a familiar expansion?

Yes MArk,but what is the next step?
What should i do with \(\displaystyle 3^n\) terms?

wishmaster said:
Yes MArk,but what is the next step?
What should i do with \(\displaystyle 3^n\) terms?

Consider that:

\(\displaystyle (a+b)^3=a^3+3a^2b+3ab^2+b^3\)

What are $a$ and $b$ in the case of the given expression?

MarkFL said:
Consider that:

\(\displaystyle (a+b)^3=a^3+3a^2b+3ab^2+b^3\)

What are $a$ and $b$ in the case of the given expression?

$a$ is $x$ and $b$ is $-3$ ?

wishmaster said:
$a$ is $x$ and $b$ is $-3$ ?

Yes, that's correct! :D

So, what is the factored form?

MarkFL said:
Yes, that's correct! :D

So, what is the factored form?

\(\displaystyle (x-3)^3\) so the root of the polynomial is $3$.

I can't switch my brains to mathematical thinking...i get stucked by easy problems like this,and that is no good...

wishmaster said:
\(\displaystyle (x-3)^3\) so the root of the polynomial is $3$.

I can't switch my brains to mathematical thinking...i get stucked by easy problems like this,and that is no good...

It comes with practice...you will find the more practice and experience you have, the more quickly you recognize patterns you have seen before. :D

MarkFL said:
It comes with practice...you will find the more practice and experience you have, the more quickly you recognize patterns you have seen before. :D

Yes,i think so...actually,i have no books,or something to learn,only online help. So here on the forum, and especially you MArk,are very helpfull for me...

wishmaster said:
Yes,i think so...actually,i have no books,or something to learn,only online help. So here on the forum, and especially you MArk,are very helpfull for me...

We are glad to help here at MHB. :D

Also, I forgot to mention that your factored form is correct. (Yes)

MarkFL said:
We are glad to help here at MHB. :D

Also, I forgot to mention that your factored form is correct. (Yes)

Thank you!

Yes,its correct,but I am not happy beacuse i didnt come alone to the solution...

wishmaster said:
Thank you!

Yes,its correct,but I am not happy beacuse i didnt come alone to the solution...

Try another method then. Pretend you don't know the answer, and see if you can instead apply the rational roots theorem.

MarkFL said:
Try another method then. Pretend you don't know the answer, and see if you can instead apply the rational roots theorem.

Wish i could know the other method...

wishmaster said:
Wish i could know the other method...

Here is an article on it:

Rational root theorem - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This theorem tells us that if the given polynomial has rational roots, it will come from the list:

\(\displaystyle \pm\left(1,3,9,27 \right)\)

So we let:

\(\displaystyle f(x)=x^3-9x^2+27x-27\)

and when we find a number $k$ from the list such that:

\(\displaystyle f(k)=0\)

then we know $x-k$ is a factor, and we may use polynomial or synthetic division to get:

\(\displaystyle f(x)=(x-k)P(x)\)

And then we see if we can then further factor $P(x)$.

Related to Discovering Rational Roots for Simplifying Polynomials

What does it mean to "factor" a polynomial?

Factoring a polynomial means expressing it as a product of simpler polynomials or monomials. It is a way to break down a polynomial into smaller pieces that are easier to work with.

Why is factoring polynomials important?

Factoring polynomials is important because it helps us solve equations, simplify expressions, and find the roots of a polynomial. It also allows us to identify patterns and relationships between different polynomials.

What are the common methods for factoring polynomials?

The most common methods for factoring polynomials are the GCF (Greatest Common Factor) method, the difference of squares method, the sum and difference of cubes method, and the quadratic formula method.

How do I know if a polynomial can be factored?

A polynomial can be factored if it has at least two terms and it is not a prime polynomial (a polynomial that can only be divided by 1 and itself). It is also possible to factor polynomials with more than two terms, but they may require more advanced methods.

What is the difference between factoring a polynomial and solving a polynomial equation?

Factoring a polynomial means breaking it down into smaller pieces, while solving a polynomial equation means finding the values of the variables that make the equation true. Factoring is a useful tool in solving polynomial equations, but it is not the same as solving them.