Discovering the Mass of an Object on a Ruler Using Known Variables - Find M_2

• Thread starter channel1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass
In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem where an object of known mass and distance is placed on one side of a ruler with a pivot at the middle, while an object of unknown mass is placed on the other side. The goal is to find the mass of the unknown object, expressed in terms of the known mass and distances. The equation M_1*L_1 = M_2*L_2 is used, and a specific solution attempt is mentioned. However, the attempt is incorrect and further clarification is requested.
channel1
urgent help needed to finding the mass

Homework Statement

We have a ruler with a total length L_r and a pivot at its middle. An object of known mass M_1 is placed a distance L_1 from the end of the ruler, as shown. An object of unknown mass M_2 is placed at the end of the ruler.

http://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1010957/18/MFS_to_6_b.jpg

Find the mass M_2.
Express the mass in terms of M_1, L_1, and L_r.

Homework Equations

M_1*L_1 = M_2*L_2

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried doing ((M1)*0.5*(Lr)) / (L1 - 0.5Lr) but that's wrong and i don't understand why...

Physics news on Phys.org

bump (please help!)

rebump

channel1 said:
M_1*L_1 = M_2*L_2

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried doing ((M1)*0.5*(Lr)) / (L1 - 0.5Lr) but that's wrong and i don't understand why...

L_1 is L1-0.5Lr and L_2 is 0.5*Lr

FAQ: Discovering the Mass of an Object on a Ruler Using Known Variables - Find M_2

What is mass and why is it important?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object. It is important because it determines how much force is needed to accelerate an object and how it responds to external forces.

How do you find the mass of an object?

The mass of an object can be found by using a scale or balance to measure its weight, which is a force due to gravity. The weight can then be divided by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2 on Earth) to find the mass.

What are the units of mass?

The most commonly used unit of mass is the kilogram (kg). Other units include grams (g) and metric tons (t).

Can mass change?

Mass is an intrinsic property of an object and does not change, unless matter is added or removed from the object. However, weight can change depending on the gravitational force acting on the object.

What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is the measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force exerted on an object due to gravity. Mass is constant, while weight can vary depending on the strength of the gravitational force.

Back