Discrepancy with Normal Force Problems

In summary, the two problems solve the same content differently because the "x component of FN is FN*cos90" and the "y component of FN is FN*sin90."
Physkat
As I try to set up equations regarding Newtonian forces, I am looking for patterns in example problems I read. It's really frustrating then when I see different approaches that I can't see a connection to.

There are two problems that I've attached that seem to solve - what seems to me about the same content - differently.

First, the "physics book" file. This is a problem from on Forces and Newton's Laws of Motion. When calculating Fx, this problem does NOT take into account FN (Normal force). Other problems I have seen set up like this say the "x component of FN is 0, and the y component of FN is FN. The x components in this problem are dealing with W and T, which I get.

Next, look at the screen shots (in succession) I took of my online instructional of the same topic. Here you will see that for a similar object in a similar situation (a block that is on a ramp), they say the x component of FN is FN*cos90, and the y component is FN*sin90. It seems strange because since they have it lined up on the y axis, would not the x component be 0, and the y component be FN? I don't get the rationale for accounting for the cos/sin90 part. I know we are trying to find the angle ultimately, but why the difference in the approaches and how do I differentiate between the two?
Thank you.

Attachments

• physics book.JPG
    physics book.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 433
  • Screen #1.png
    Screen #1.png
    30.6 KB · Views: 455
  • Screen #2.png
    Screen #2.png
    25.5 KB · Views: 458
  • Screen #3.png
    Screen #3.png
    17.5 KB · Views: 439
Physics news on Phys.org
Physkat said:
they say the x component of FN is FN*cos90

Physkat said:
would not the x component be 0
And what is the value of cos 90?

Oh boy - I feel silly. Zero, of course. Thank you Haruspex. I was so focused on the set up of the problem I looked past that. Then the sin90*FN would simply be FN, as I originally thought. And I also tried to do the screen shot problem in a slightly different way (I tried the ramp sloping down from the right, whereas they had it down from the left), thinking I would get the same answer, but I did not. So I need to go back and see what I did wrong. Anyway, thank you again for this simple insight!

Related to Discrepancy with Normal Force Problems

What is normal force?

The normal force is a contact force that acts perpendicular to the surface of an object. It is exerted by the surface on which the object is resting and prevents the object from sinking into or passing through the surface.

How is normal force related to weight?

According to Newton's third law of motion, for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In the case of an object resting on a surface, the weight of the object acts downwards while the normal force acts upwards. Therefore, the normal force is equal in magnitude but opposite in direction to the weight of the object.

Can the normal force be greater than the weight of an object?

No, the normal force can never be greater than the weight of an object. The normal force is a reaction force to the weight of the object, and it is only strong enough to balance out the weight and prevent the object from falling through the surface.

How does the normal force change on inclined planes?

The normal force on an inclined plane is equal to the component of the weight of the object that is perpendicular to the surface. As the angle of inclination increases, the normal force decreases while the parallel component of weight increases. At a 90-degree angle, the normal force becomes zero, and the entire weight of the object is acting parallel to the surface.

What are some common sources of discrepancy in normal force problems?

Some common sources of discrepancy in normal force problems include friction, air resistance, and the presence of external forces acting on the object. These factors can affect the weight and normal force of an object, leading to differences between the calculated and actual values.