[Discrete math] Finding simple, nonisomorphic graphs with 4 nodes

In summary, finding simple, nonisomorphic graphs with 4 nodes involves creating distinct graphs with four vertices and edges that are not equivalent to each other. This can be done by considering the number of edges and their connections between the vertices, as well as the overall structure and symmetry of the graph. By analyzing these factors, one can identify and construct a variety of unique graphs with 4 nodes.
smithisize

Homework Statement

Draw all nonisomorphic, simple graphs with four nodes. (Hint: There are eleven such graphs!)

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Well if you can imagine a square with the nodes as the vertices and no arcs connecting them, I figure that's isomorphic because there's no way for the bijection to 'order' the mapped nodes.
The solution to the problem is here:http://www.math.washington.edu/~dumitriu/sol_hw4.pdf
But I don't understand it. Why is their second solution a solution? Because I would think that if that is a solution, certainly the same, just with a diagonal instead of a top connector, would be a solution but it's not.

Please help me understand the process I have to go through to find these graphs on my own.
Thanks

Smith

Physics news on Phys.org
smithisize said:
imagine a square with the nodes as the vertices and no arcs connecting them, I figure that's isomorphic
Nonisomorphic here simply means don't count what is really the same graph twice. A graph in isolation cannot be said to be isomorphic or not. It is isomorphic or otherwise to some other graph. E.g. the two graphs you describe - the second in the solution and one consisting of just a diagonal - are isomorphic to each other, so you don't count both. They're isomorphic because there is a way of shuffling the vertices around that turns one graph into the other.

Likes 1 person

FAQ: [Discrete math] Finding simple, nonisomorphic graphs with 4 nodes

1. What is discrete math?

Discrete math is a branch of mathematics that deals with discrete objects, such as integers, graphs, and logical statements. It is used to solve problems in computer science, engineering, and other fields where discrete structures are important.

2. Why is it important to find simple, nonisomorphic graphs with 4 nodes?

Finding simple, nonisomorphic graphs with 4 nodes is important because it helps us understand the properties and structure of graphs. It also allows us to identify patterns and relationships between different graphs, which can be useful in problem-solving and decision-making.

3. How do you determine if two graphs are isomorphic?

Two graphs are isomorphic if they have the same number of vertices and edges, and their vertices are connected in the same way. This means that for every vertex in one graph, there is a corresponding vertex in the other graph that is connected to the same number of edges in the same way.

4. What is the process for finding simple, nonisomorphic graphs with 4 nodes?

The process for finding simple, nonisomorphic graphs with 4 nodes involves systematically constructing all possible graphs with 4 nodes, then checking for isomorphism between each graph. To make the process more efficient, certain graph properties, such as symmetry and connectivity, can be used to eliminate duplicate graphs.

5. How can finding simple, nonisomorphic graphs with 4 nodes be applied in real-world scenarios?

The study of simple, nonisomorphic graphs with 4 nodes has many real-world applications, such as in network design, circuit design, and data analysis. In these scenarios, understanding the properties and structures of graphs can help in optimizing and improving systems and processes. It can also be used to identify patterns and relationships in data sets, which can aid in decision-making.