Discrete Math Help for Sarah | Physics Forum

In summary, Sarah is a new member of the "Physics Forum" and is struggling with proving statements in discrete math. She is particularly having trouble with complex questions involving real numbers. She is seeking tips from other members and is unsure if this is the right forum for her question.)
sarah22
Dear "Physics Forum",

Hello! I'm Sarah. Yeah, I'm new here and starting to love this forum. I'm having a hard time proving if a statement is true or false in discrete math. For example, For all X, there's a Y (x+y=x). This question is easy and the answer is true by letting y as 0 and x for anything. But I really get confuse when the question is so complicated like making not(Vx) not(Ey) ... and making it for only real numbers... I'm good in other math like Algebra, Trigonometry and Calculus but this one really burns my mind. Can anyone here give me some tips.

BTW, is this the right forum?

Thanks,
Sarah

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what it is your asking...just learn the rules of logic I guess...

Not (Vx) is equivalent to (Ex)

and Not (Ey) is equivalent to (Vy)

FAQ: Discrete Math Help for Sarah | Physics Forum

1. What is discrete math and why is it important?

Discrete math is a branch of mathematics that deals with countable, distinct elements. It is important because it has many real-world applications, such as in computer science, cryptography, and data analysis.

2. What is the difference between discrete math and continuous math?

Discrete math deals with countable, separate elements and does not involve any measurements or calculations. Continuous math, on the other hand, deals with real numbers and involves measurements and calculations.

3. What are some common topics in discrete math?

Some common topics in discrete math include set theory, graph theory, combinatorics, and logic.

4. How can I improve my understanding of discrete math concepts?

One way to improve your understanding of discrete math concepts is to practice solving problems and exercises. You can also seek help from a tutor or join study groups to discuss and clarify any confusing topics.

5. How can discrete math be applied in the real world?

Discrete math has many real-world applications, such as in computer programming, network analysis, and cryptography. It is also used in data analysis and decision-making processes in various fields, including business and finance.

Back