Discrete Math - Pigeonhole Principle Problem

In summary, by applying the pigeonhole principle, we can determine that at least 4*C(9,2) + 4*C(9,2)*6 + 1 patrons must be served to guarantee that two have ordered exactly the same meal. This is the maximum number of non-repeating meals that can be ordered from a menu consisting of 4 main dishes, 9 choices of side dishes, and 6 desserts.
Rockoz

Homework Statement

Suppose that a menu consists of 4 main dishes, 9 choices of side dishes, and 6 desserts. A small meal consists of one main dish and two different side dishes and no dessert. A large meal consists of one main dish, two different side dishes and dessert. How many patrons must be served to guarantee that two have ordered exactly the same meal?

Homework Equations

Pigeonhole Principle:
The pigeonhole principle states that if n items are put into m pigeonholes with n > m, then at least one pigeonhole must contain more than one item.

The Attempt at a Solution

I want to apply the pigeonhole principle here but I'm a bit unsure about how to break this problem down. The following is my attempt:

So I'm thinking I want to pick the minimal number of small meals and large meals, and then add one so I get just enough to have "more pigeons than pigeonholes" as the principle wants. So for just picking small meals, we have 4 large meals to choose from, and then C(9,2) possible combinations of side dishes and no desserts. So we have 4 * C(9,2) small meals. Next we want to pick the large meals and so we have 4 * C(9,2) * 6 possible large meal combinations. (4 large meals, C(9,2) side dish combinations, and 6 desserts). Next we add one so we can use the pigeonhole principle and state that two patrons must have ordered exactly the same meal.

So I think the answer is: 4*C(9,2) + 4*C(9,2)*6 + 1.

Again, thank you for your time. Please let me know if my thinking is incorrect and why.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Rockoz
I believe you are correct, never heard of this 'principle' before though :)
One thing: why are you talking about 'minimal number of small and large meals' ?
this is the total number of different meals, if anything, it is maximal (maximum number of non repeating meals)

Cheers..

oli4 said:
Hi Rockoz
I believe you are correct, never heard of this 'principle' before though :)
One thing: why are you talking about 'minimal number of small and large meals' ?
this is the total number of different meals, if anything, it is maximal (maximum number of non repeating meals)

Cheers..

Right, that makes sense that it should be called maximal. That's what I was trying to describe. Bad word choice by me.

Related to Discrete Math - Pigeonhole Principle Problem

What is the Pigeonhole Principle in Discrete Math?

The Pigeonhole Principle is a fundamental concept in Discrete Mathematics that states if there are more pigeons than pigeonholes, then at least one pigeonhole must contain more than one pigeon. In other words, if there are n+1 objects placed into n boxes, then at least one box must contain more than one object.

How is the Pigeonhole Principle used to solve problems in Discrete Math?

The Pigeonhole Principle is used to prove the existence of particular patterns or properties in various mathematical problems. It is a powerful tool for proving that a certain outcome is inevitable or that a particular solution exists.

Can you provide an example of a Pigeonhole Principle problem?

One example of a Pigeonhole Principle problem is the "Birthday Problem", which asks how many people are needed in a room for there to be at least a 50% chance that two people share the same birthday. The answer is surprisingly only 23 people, due to the fact that there are 365 possible birthdays but only 23 pigeonholes (people) to place them in.

Are there any limitations to the Pigeonhole Principle?

Yes, the Pigeonhole Principle assumes that each pigeonhole can only contain one object at most. If there are more objects placed into a pigeonhole than its capacity, then the principle does not apply.

How can one apply the Pigeonhole Principle to real-world situations?

The Pigeonhole Principle can be applied to many real-world situations, such as scheduling conflicts, voting systems, and data storage. It can also be used to prove the existence of repeated patterns or outcomes in various scenarios, which can aid in decision-making and problem-solving.