Discrete math problem: R.P. Grimaldi text

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of how many ways can we select n objects from a collection of size 2n that consists of n distinct and n identical objects. The answer key explains that for each of the n distinct objects, there are two choices, and if an object is not selected, then one of the n identical objects is used instead. This results in 2^n possible selections of size n. The conversation also mentions relevant equations and provides an example to illustrate the concept.
hallwayantics

Homework Statement

Okay so I'm trying to teach myself the first three chapters if Grimaldi before I take a discrete math course in January. I'll probably be posting a few problems.

The question is as follows:

In how many ways can we select n objects from a collection of size 2n that consists of n distinct and n identical objects?

I found an answer key on bit torrent but I still don't understand it. It says:

"For each of the n distinct objects there are two choices. If an object is not selected, then one of the n identical objects is used in the selection. This results in 2^n possible selections of size n."

Could someone please illustrate this a little better for me? It's driving me nuts that I can't understand what looks like an easy problem.

Homework Equations

Sigma(k=0,n)[ C(n,k) ] = 2^n

Sigma(k=0,n)[ k ] = n(n+1)/2

C(n,r)= n!/(r!*(n-r)!)

The Attempt at a Solution

Say we have n unique objects. We can change this selection by omitting
one object and repeating a different one. eg. a--z, leave out 'a', but repeat 'z'.
For one omission we get (n-1) different ways of doing this (b--z). For two omissions we get
C(n-2,2) possibilities ... all the way up to n/2 when we run out of extra letters to double up on. This results in a sum of sorts, but not one that looks familiar.Thanks for reading!

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, here's n=3. {1,2,3,0,0,0}. 1, 2 and 3 are the 'unique' objects and the '0's are the 'identical'. How many ways to choose three? You can do it be choosing k unique objects and then filling out the choice with 3-k identical objects, and summing over k. That's C(3,3)+C(3,2)+C(3,1)+C(3,0). What they are saying is that each of those choices also corresponds to a specific subset of {1,2,3}, choose any subset and then full out the choice with the identical objects. There are 2^3 subsets. Therefore, C(3,3)+C(3,2)+C(3,1)+C(3,0)=2^3. That's what they are trying to prove.

Makes sense now.
Muchos Gracias, Richard!

Last edited:

Related to Discrete math problem: R.P. Grimaldi text

1. What is discrete math?

Discrete math is a branch of mathematics that deals with countable or finite sets and objects. It is used to study and solve problems in computer science, cryptography, engineering, and other fields.

2. What is the R.P. Grimaldi text about?

The R.P. Grimaldi text is a textbook on discrete mathematics. It covers topics such as logic, set theory, relations, functions, combinatorics, graph theory, and more. It is commonly used in undergraduate courses on discrete math.

3. Is discrete math difficult to learn?

Discrete math can be challenging for some people, as it involves abstract thinking and problem-solving skills. However, with practice and a strong foundation in basic math concepts, it can be mastered.

4. How is discrete math used in real life?

Discrete math has many practical applications, such as in computer algorithms, data encryption, scheduling, network optimization, and more. It is also used in decision-making and problem-solving in various industries.

5. Can I use the R.P. Grimaldi text for self-study?

Yes, the R.P. Grimaldi text can be a useful resource for self-study. It provides clear explanations, examples, and exercises to help you understand and practice concepts in discrete math. However, it may be beneficial to have a teacher or tutor to guide you through the material.