Discrete Math Question on Universal and Existential Quantifiers

In summary, the conversation is about determining the truth value of the statement ∀y∃x(P(x,y) → P(y,x)) given a set of conditions. The participants discuss the logic behind the statement and how to evaluate it by looping through different values of x and y. They also clarify the meaning of the symbols and provide examples to illustrate the truth table for the statement "if A then B". Ultimately, they come to the conclusion that the statement is false in some cases and true in others, but it cannot be proven true for all possible combinations of x and y.
nicnicman
Hi everyone,

I've got a test tomorrow and while working through a practice test I got stuck. Here is the problem:

In the question below suppose P(x,y) is a predicate and the universe for the variables x and y is {1,2,3}. Suppose P(1,3), P(2,1), P(2,2), P(2,3), P(2,3), P(3,1), P(3,2) are true, and P(x,y) is false otherwise. Determine whether the following statements are true.

∀y∃x(P(x,y) → P(y,x)).

I understand that to find the truth value of a statement I should loop through each combination of values and if any result in False the statement is False. However, I'm not sure how I would loop through this one as x and y don't seem to be doing anything.

Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
nicnicman said:
x and y don't seem to be doing anything.

Why do you say that?

The way I see it, you loop through each value of y.
Inside the loop on y , you loop through each value of x.
If the loop through x has one case where P(x,y)->P(y,x) then the [itex] \exists x [/itex] condition is satisfied. The inner loop doesn't have to produce a true statement for all values x, it only has to work for one value of x.

Roughly like this:

for y = 1 to y = 3
{
for x = 1 to x = 3

if ( P(x,y) -> P(y,x) ) then there is no need to test more x values, leave this loop on x and proceed to the next y value.

end loop on x
}

If you get to this point, none of the x values worked, so the statement is false since the [itex] \forall y [/itex] failed for this particular value of y. You can leave the loop on y.

end loop on y

Thanks for the reply, but I still having trouble.

I'm trying to put what is happening in English:

For every y there is an x such that . . .

I guess I'm getting stuck on what is happening inside the parentheses:

If P(x,y), then P(y,x). This doesn't make sense to me.

Or, P(x,y) implies P(y,x).

nicnicman said:
If P(x,y), then P(y,x). This doesn't make sense to me.

Haven't you studied the truth table for the statement "if A then B".

For example, consider the case x = 2, y = 3.
the statement becomes" if (P(2,3) then P(3,2)
P(2,3) is given to be True in the problem.
P(3,2) is given to be True in the problem.

Hence the if...then... statement is true in this case because A is True and B is True.
(The only case where 'if A then B" is False is when A is True and B is False.)

You could pretend the statement-function P(x,y) is a verbal statement like "Person x has property belonging to person y". However, I think it's easier just to proceed in a mechanical fashion.

Yeah, we have studied the truth tables for IF, I just wasn't making the connection. However, how would the statement ever be false. For what it's worth, the answer I was given on the practice exam is TRUE.

Would the statement be false if x = 1 and y = 2?

Thanks again.

nicnicman said:
Would the statement be false if x = 1 and y = 2?

By "the statement", do you mean "if (P(x,y) then P(y,x)"? (which is not the entire statement)
if P(1,2) then P(2,1) is True because P(1,2) is False. The if...part is False. The only time "If A then B" is false is when A is True and B is False.

Shoot, I got that backwards. What I meant was if x = 2 and y =1.

Then you would have P(2, 1) implies P(1, 2). Since P(2,1) is TRUE and P(1,2) is FALSE, then the statement is FALSE. Correct?

nicnicman said:
. What I meant was if x = 2 and y =1.

Then you would have P(2, 1) implies P(1, 2). Since P(2,1) is TRUE and P(1,2) is FALSE, then the statement is FALSE. Correct?

Correct, The statement "if P(2,1) then P(1,2)" is False in that case.

To determine the truth of "There exists an x such that if (P(x,1) then P(1,x)" you'd have to see if some other value of x makes "if P(x,1) then P(1,x)" evaluate to True.

There is no other combination that makes If P(x,y), then P(y,x) false. However, since ∀y∃x is saying, "For all y's there is an x..." and we have shown that there is case that doesn't prove true for a given y, then the statement is False. Maybe I'm seeing this wrong, but isn't the statement False?

nicnicman said:
There is no other combination that makes If P(x,y), then P(y,x) false. However, since ∀y∃x is saying, "For all y's there is an x..." and we have shown that there is case that doesn't prove true for a given y, then the statement is False. Maybe I'm seeing this wrong, but isn't the statement False?

You're seeing it wrong. The [itex] \exists x [/itex] doesn't mean that if (P(x,1) then P(1,x) must be true for all values of x. It only claims it is true for at least one value of x. The fact you showed one value of x made "if P(x,1) then P(1,x)" evaluate to False, doesn't rule out that there might exist another value of x that makes it True. Let x = 1, then P(1,1) is False, so x = 1 works to make "if P(1,1) then P(1,1)" evaluate to True.

Thanks for the help. I just took my exam and your explanations helped a lot.

Related to Discrete Math Question on Universal and Existential Quantifiers

1. What is the difference between universal and existential quantifiers in discrete math?

The universal quantifier, represented by ∀, is a logical symbol that denotes that a statement is true for all elements in a given set. In contrast, the existential quantifier, represented by ∃, denotes that there exists at least one element in the set for which the statement is true.

2. How do you use universal and existential quantifiers in discrete math?

In discrete math, universal and existential quantifiers are used to make statements about sets of elements. For example, a statement using the universal quantifier ∀x can be read as "for all x," and a statement using the existential quantifier ∃x can be read as "there exists at least one x."

3. What is an example of a statement using a universal quantifier in discrete math?

An example of a statement using a universal quantifier is "∀x, x is an even number." This statement means that for all elements x in a given set, x is an even number.

4. What is an example of a statement using an existential quantifier in discrete math?

An example of a statement using an existential quantifier is "∃x, x is a prime number." This statement means that there exists at least one element x in a given set that is a prime number.

5. How do you prove statements using universal and existential quantifiers in discrete math?

To prove a statement using universal quantifiers, you must show that the statement is true for every element in the given set. To prove a statement using existential quantifiers, you must provide at least one example of an element in the set for which the statement is true.