Discrete Math: Self-referential formula

H(n-2).In summary, the problem is to find a self-referential formula for the number of handshakes required for a group of n aliens to introduce themselves by hand-calculating a few small values and coming up with a solution. The given equation is H(n) = [n(n-1)(n-2)]/6, and the attempt at a solution involved hand-calculating values for H(n) by substituting n for 1-6, but it is not clear what the concept of "introducing themselves" means in this context. To find a self-referential formula, the approach is to express H(n) as a function of H(n-1) and H(n-
SolarMidnite

Homework Statement

Figure out a self-referential formula for the number of handshakes required for a group of n aliens to introduce themselves by hand-calculating a few small values and coming up with a solution.

Homework Equations

We are given:

Let H(n) be the number of handshakes for a group of n aliens to introduce themselves. Then H(n) = [n(n-1)(n-2)]/6

The Attempt at a Solution

I couldn't find anything in my textbook about how to derive a self-referential formula. I tried hand-calculating a few small values for H(n) by substituting n for 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6.

H(1) = 0
H(2) = 0
H(3) = 1
H(4) = 4
H(5) = 10
H(6) = 20

I'm not sure what to do next. How do I derive a self-referential formula from this information?

Physics news on Phys.org
First off, I'm not sure what this introducing yourself is supposed to mean. If you have 2 aliens and they want to introduce themselves, shouldn't they shake hands? Then they are introduced. That would mean H(2)=1. Your formula would seem to suggest they have to introduce in groups of three. Might be why they are 'alien'. Can you state the whole problem?

To find a self referential formula, try to express H(n) as a function of H(n-1)

Related to Discrete Math: Self-referential formula

1. What is discrete math?

Discrete math is a branch of mathematics that deals with discrete objects or quantities, rather than continuous ones. It is often used in computer science, cryptography, and other fields where precise and finite systems are studied.

2. What is a self-referential formula in discrete math?

A self-referential formula is a mathematical formula that refers to itself in its own definition. This means that the formula contains a variable or term that is defined in terms of itself, creating a feedback loop.

3. How is self-referential formula used in discrete math?

Self-referential formulas are used in discrete math to solve problems involving recursion or iteration. They can also be used to describe complex systems or patterns.

4. Can you give an example of a self-referential formula in discrete math?

One example of a self-referential formula is the Fibonacci sequence, where each term is defined as the sum of the two previous terms. This creates a loop, as each term is defined in terms of itself.

5. What are some real-life applications of self-referential formula in discrete math?

Self-referential formulas have many real-life applications, such as in computer algorithms, genetic algorithms, and fractal geometry. They can also be used to model natural processes, such as population growth or weather patterns.