Discrete Mathematics Book Recommendation

In summary, the top-selling and top-rated books on Discrete Mathematics at Amazon are "Discrete Mathematics & Its Applications" and "Discrete Mathematics With Its Applications". Some users recommend "Numerical Recipes" for those planning to write a computer program. However, there are conflicting reviews for the two top books and it is unclear which one is the better choice.
Este
Hello,

I'm looking for a decent Discrete Mathematics book..

Well,
- Discrete Mathematics & Its Applications.
- Discrete Mathematics With Its Applications.

Are the top-sellers and the top-rated books @ Amazon on this field.

Has anyone read any of them? Recommendations? Pros & Cons? I'm currently confused by the many reviews I've read and not sure which one to go for!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you want such a book?

Are you planning to write a computer program? In that case, you might want to look at "Numerical Recipes". It includes background and source code for the most common numerical mathematics problems.

I have never read those two books you mention, so I cannot say if they are good or bad.

As a fellow scientist, I can definitely understand your confusion with the many reviews and options available for Discrete Mathematics books. I have personally used both "Discrete Mathematics & Its Applications" and "Discrete Mathematics With Its Applications" in my studies and found them to be excellent resources.

"Discrete Mathematics & Its Applications" by Kenneth Rosen is a comprehensive and well-written book that covers all the important topics in discrete mathematics. It is widely used in universities and has a good balance of theory and applications. The book also comes with a lot of practice problems and exercises to help reinforce the concepts.

"Discrete Mathematics With Its Applications" by Susanna Epp is another popular choice among students. It is known for its clear and concise explanations and its user-friendly approach. This book also has a lot of examples and exercises to help students understand the material better.

Both books have their own strengths and it ultimately comes down to personal preference. I would recommend taking a look at the table of contents and sample chapters of each book to see which one aligns better with your learning style and needs.

Some other factors to consider when choosing a Discrete Mathematics book are the level of rigor, the level of mathematical background required, and the specific topics covered. So, it's important to do some research and read reviews from other students or professors to get a better understanding of these factors.

I hope this helps in your decision-making process. Whichever book you choose, I'm sure it will be a valuable resource in your studies of Discrete Mathematics. Happy reading!

FAQ: Discrete Mathematics Book Recommendation

1. What is discrete mathematics?

Discrete mathematics is a branch of mathematics that deals with discrete structures, such as integers, graphs, and matrices. It involves the study of mathematical objects that are separated into distinct, countable values.

2. Why is discrete mathematics important in science?

Discrete mathematics is essential in science because it provides the foundation for many areas of computer science, such as algorithms, coding theory, and cryptography. It also has applications in other fields, including biology, physics, and economics.

3. What are some good books on discrete mathematics?

Some recommended books on discrete mathematics include "Discrete Mathematics and its Applications" by Kenneth H. Rosen, "Concrete Mathematics: A Foundation for Computer Science" by Ronald L. Graham, Donald E. Knuth, and Oren Patashnik, and "Discrete Mathematics: Elementary and Beyond" by László Lovász, József Pelikán, and Katalin L. Vesztergombi.

4. What topics are typically covered in a discrete mathematics book?

A discrete mathematics book typically covers topics such as set theory, logic, combinatorics, graph theory, and algorithms. It may also include sections on number theory, probability, and recursion.

5. Who should read a discrete mathematics book?

A discrete mathematics book is suitable for anyone interested in mathematics, computer science, or any other field that involves problem-solving and critical thinking. It can be beneficial for students, researchers, and professionals looking to deepen their understanding of discrete structures and their applications.