Discretized complex exponential

In summary, if you have a complex exponential exp(iω0n) where n is in the set of integers, then the set of complex exponentials that is harmonically-related to this one is finite due to the property that exp[i(ω0+2π)n] = exp(i2πn)exp(iω0n) = exp(iω0n). This can be seen with an example figure where a progression of discrete cosines with different frequencies look identical, such as cos[(π/8)n] and cos[(15π/8)n]. This is because, according to Euler's formula, cos[(15π/8)n] can be rewritten as cos[(π/8)n + 16π/8
cepheid
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm reading that if you have a complex exponential exp(iω0n) where n is in the set of integers, then unlike for the case of a continuous independent variable, the set of complex exponentials that is harmonically-related to this one is finite. I.e. there is only a finite number of distinct complex exponentials that have frequencies that are integer multiples of the fundamental frequency ω0. This is because if the frequency differs from the fundamental by 2π: then:

exp[i(ω0+2π)n] = exp(i2πn)exp(iω0n) = exp(iω0n).

Then the book I'm reading gives an example figure in which a progression of discrete cosines is plotted, and pairs of them with different frequencies look identical. There is one with frequency π/8 that looks exactly the same as another with frequency 15π/8. But I would have thought that the next identical one should have frequency 17π/8, since that differs from the original by 2π. At first I thought it was a typo in the book, but when I tried plotting them myself, I found that the sequence with frequency 15π/8 is indeed identical to the one with frequency π/8. I cannot understand why this is.

EDIT: I think it might be because for cosine, if:

ω0 = π/8

then

15π/8 = π/8 + 16π/8 - 2π/8

= ω0 + 2π - 2ω0

= -ω0 + 2π

= -(ω0 - 2π)

and a cosine with a frequency given by the above is ALSO the same as cos(ω0n). Is THAT the reason? If so, then I have figured it out, and you can delete this thread.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
It's because of Euler's formula:

"[URL

Last edited by a moderator:
SteamKing said:
It's because of Euler's formula:

"[URL
[/URL]

I'm well aware of Euler's formula. My question was why is cos[(π/8)n] = cos[(15π/8)n] when the aforementioned property of discrete complex exponentials (and by extension cosines) suggests that frequencies that differ by two pi should produce identical sequences? But I think I figured it out (in the edited portion of my post). Thanks anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

FAQ: Discretized complex exponential

1. What is a discretized complex exponential?

A discretized complex exponential is a mathematical function that represents a complex number raised to a discrete power. It is commonly used in digital signal processing and discrete-time systems.

2. How is a discretized complex exponential different from a continuous complex exponential?

A continuous complex exponential is a function that represents a complex number raised to a continuous power. In contrast, a discretized complex exponential only takes on discrete values at specific points in time or space.

3. What are the applications of discretized complex exponential?

Discretized complex exponential functions are commonly used in digital signal processing, image processing, and control systems. They can also be used in solving differential equations and analyzing the behavior of discrete-time systems.

4. How is a discretized complex exponential calculated?

A discretized complex exponential is calculated by raising a complex number to a discrete power using the formula z^n = (cos(nθ) + i sin(nθ)), where z is the complex number and n is the discrete power.

5. Are there any real-world examples of discretized complex exponential?

Yes, discretized complex exponential functions are used in many real-world applications, such as in digital filters, digital communication systems, and image processing algorithms. They are also used in modeling and simulating the behavior of physical systems in engineering and physics.