Displacement of a diving dolphin

In summary, the dolphin starts at a position 350m west and 200m northwest of the sea surface, and then dives an unknown distance in an unknown direction. The final position of the dolphin is 80m directly below a fishing boat located 400m north of the starting point. To calculate the dolphin's displacement during the dive, the start point was converted to A = 141(-i) + 141(j), the boat's position was converted to B = 0(i) + 400(j), and the vectors were added together to get -141(i) + 541(j) + 0(k). The vector representing the dolphin's position 80m underneath the boat was added to this, resulting in a displacement
brundlfly

Homework Statement

a dolphin swims near the sea surface 350m west, then 200m northwest, and then dives below the surface and swims an additional distance in an unknown direction. The final position of the dolphin is 80m directly below the fishing boat located 400m north of the starting point. Calculate the dolphin's displacement during the dive.

Homework Equations

-Conversion of polar coordinates to Cartesian coordinates

The Attempt at a Solution

I converted the start point of the dive to A = 141(-i) + 141(j) and the position of the boat as B = 0(i) + 400(j). I added A and B together so I got -141(i) + 541(j) + 0(k), then I added the vector of the position of the dolphin 80 underneath the boat which is 0(i)+0(j)-80(k) and got
-141(i)+541(j)-80(k). Then I calculated the norm of the vector to get the displacement of the dolphin during the dive: sqrt(141^2+541^2+80^2) and as a result I got 564.7672 meters. None of the calculations involve the other vectors, so my question is if I have to use them since only the displacement of the dive is needed. Am I missing something? Thank you for your time and effort.

Physics news on Phys.org
brundlfly said:
I converted the start point of the dive to A = 141(-i) + 141(j)

this is not the diving point. diving point is the sum of two vectors - 350m west, then 200m northwest
convert it in vector form and you should arrive at the correct answer.
the procedure is correct.

FAQ: Displacement of a diving dolphin

1. What is displacement of a diving dolphin?

Displacement refers to the amount of water that is moved by an object when it is submerged. In the case of a diving dolphin, it is the volume of water that is pushed aside as the dolphin swims or dives.

2. How is displacement related to the buoyancy of a diving dolphin?

Displacement is directly related to the buoyancy of a diving dolphin. The greater the displacement, the more buoyant the dolphin will be, allowing it to float and swim in the water.

3. What factors affect the displacement of a diving dolphin?

The displacement of a diving dolphin is affected by several factors, including its size, shape, and density. The speed and depth of its dive also play a role in determining its displacement.

4. How does a dolphin use displacement to conserve energy while diving?

Dolphins have evolved to use displacement to conserve energy while diving. By increasing their displacement, they can become more buoyant and require less energy to swim and maintain their position in the water.

5. How is displacement measured in diving dolphins?

Displacement in diving dolphins can be measured using various methods, such as volume displacement or hydrodynamic modeling. Researchers also use advanced technologies, such as underwater cameras and pressure sensors, to study displacement in dolphins.