Disprove [itex]\sigma[/itex] (singletons in R) = Borel field

• Thread starter Lily@pie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Field
Yes, but be a little more precise. Can you write out the proof?However, I really don't know how to show that σ({{x}:x\in ℝ}) \subset G. Can I say that an element in sigma(singleton) can be singleton or the complement of singleton?Yes, exactly. But you also need to show that the complement of a singleton is in G. So take any singleton and its complement, and show that they are both in G. This will prove that G = sigma(singleton).Also, please use LaTeX for equations and symbols in your posts, it makes it much easier to read and understand. Thank you!Yes, exactly. But you also need to show that
Lily@pie

Homework Statement

[itex]{ E }_{ 1 }:=\{ \left( -\infty ,x \right) :x\in \Re \} [/itex]

[itex]{ E }_{ 2 }:=\{ \left\{ x \right\} :x\in \Re \} [/itex]

Prove [itex]\sigma \left( { E }_{ 1 } \right) =\sigma \left( { E }_{ 2 } \right) [/itex]

Homework Equations

I know [itex]{ E }_{ 1 }[/itex] generates the Borel field

(i.e.) [itex]\sigma \left( { E }_{ 1 } \right)=B(ℝ)[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know this is wrong as [itex]\sigma \left( { E }_{ 2 } \right) \varsubsetneqq \sigma \left( { E }_{ 1 } \right) [/itex]

Hence my attempt is assume [itex]\sigma \left( { E }_{ 1 } \right) \subseteq \sigma \left( { E }_{ 2 } \right) [/itex]

Let [itex] F \in σ(E_{1})[/itex] be a non-empty set

As [itex]F \in E_{1} \Rightarrow F \in σ(E_{1}) [/itex]

When [itex]F \in E_{1}[/itex], [itex]F = (-\infty, x) [/itex] for some [itex]x \in ℝ[/itex]

I want to prove that for some [itex]x \in ℝ[/itex] [itex]F = (-\infty, x) \notin E_{2} [/itex], which means [itex]F = (-\infty, x) \notin σ(E_{2}) [/itex].
It is kind of obvious to me as [itex]-∞ \notin ℝ[/itex], and [itex]x \in ℝ[/itex] implies that [itex](-\infty, x)[/itex] cannot be generated by a countable union of singletons.

Hence [itex]\sigma \left( { E }_{ 1 } \right) \subseteq \sigma \left( { E }_{ 2 } \right) [/itex] must be wrong.

But I'm not sure if this statement is strong enough. :confused:

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Lily@pie said:

Homework Statement

[itex]{ E }_{ 1 }:=\{ \left( -\infty ,x \right) :x\in \Re \} [/itex]

[itex]{ E }_{ 2 }:=\{ \left\{ x \right\} :x\in \Re \} [/itex]

Prove [itex]\sigma \left( { E }_{ 1 } \right) =\sigma \left( { E }_{ 2 } \right) [/itex]

Homework Equations

I know [itex]{ E }_{ 1 }[/itex] generates the Borel field

(i.e.) [itex]\sigma \left( { E }_{ 1 } \right)=B(ℝ)[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know this is wrong as [itex]\sigma \left( { E }_{ 2 } \right) \varsubsetneqq \sigma \left( { E }_{ 1 } \right) [/itex]

Hence my attempt is assume [itex]\sigma \left( { E }_{ 1 } \right) \subseteq \sigma \left( { E }_{ 2 } \right) [/itex]

Let [itex] F \in σ(E_{1})[/itex] be a non-empty set

As [itex]F \in E_{1} \Rightarrow F \in σ(E_{1}) [/itex]

When [itex]F \in E_{1}[/itex], [itex]F = (-\infty, x) [/itex] for some [itex]x \in ℝ[/itex]

I want to prove that for some [itex]x \in ℝ[/itex] [itex]F = (-\infty, x) \notin E_{2} [/itex], which means [itex]F = (-\infty, x) \notin σ(E_{2}) [/itex].
It is kind of obvious to me as [itex]-∞ \notin ℝ[/itex], and [itex]x \in ℝ[/itex] implies that [itex](-\infty, x)[/itex] cannot be generated by a countable union of singletons.

Hence [itex]\sigma \left( { E }_{ 1 } \right) \subseteq \sigma \left( { E }_{ 2 } \right) [/itex] must be wrong.

But I'm not sure if this statement is strong enough. :confused:

Thanks!

No, that's not good enough, I hope you know why. Let G be the set consisting of all sets X such that either X is countable or ##X^C## is countable. Can you show that G is a sigma algebra? Now can you show that's exactly the sigma algebra generated by the singletons?

Dick said:
No, that's not good enough, I hope you know why. Let G be the set consisting of all sets X such that either X is countable or ##X^C## is countable. Can you show that G is a sigma algebra? Now can you show that's exactly the sigma algebra generated by the singletons?

I could prove that G is a sigma algebra.

However, I'm not quite sure in proving G=σ(singletons)

Can I say [itex]G \subseteq [/itex] {{x}:x\in ℝ}?
Then [itex] G=σ(G) \subseteq[/itex] σ({{x}:x\in ℝ}).

I could also show {{x}:x\in ℝ} [itex] \subseteq σ(G)[/itex]

Hence, G=σ({{x}:x\in ℝ}.

Therefore to show [itex]σ( E_{1})[/itex] not subset of G,

Let [itex]E\in E_{1}[/itex] be (-∞,x] for some real number x.

since (-∞,x] and (x,∞) are not countable, [itex]E \notin[/itex] G =σ({{x}:x\in ℝ}) .

Am I heading to the correct direction?

Thanks a lot :)

Lily@pie said:
I could prove that G is a sigma algebra.

However, I'm not quite sure in proving G=σ(singletons)

Can I say [itex]G \subseteq [/itex] {{x}:x\in ℝ}?
Then [itex] G=σ(G) \subseteq[/itex] σ({{x}:x\in ℝ}).

I could also show {{x}:x\in ℝ} [itex] \subseteq σ(G)[/itex]

Hence, G=σ({{x}:x\in ℝ}.

Therefore to show [itex]σ( E_{1})[/itex] not subset of G,

Let [itex]E\in E_{1}[/itex] be (-∞,x] for some real number x.

since (-∞,x] and (x,∞) are not countable, [itex]E \notin[/itex] G =σ({{x}:x\in ℝ}) .

Am I heading to the correct direction?

Thanks a lot :)

Given what follows, I'd be interested in hearing the general idea of how you proved G is a sigma algebra. Because the middle part sounds strange. You clearly can't say that G is a subset of the singletons, it's not. There are certainly elements of G that aren't singletons. Just pick an element of G and show that it is in the sigma algebra generated by the singletons. But the end part sounds good.

Last edited:
Dick said:
Given what follows, I'd be interested in hearing the general idea of how you proved G is a sigma algebra. Because the middle part sounds strange. You clearly can't say that G is a subset of the singletons, it's not. There are certainly elements of G that aren't singletons. Just pick an element of G and show that it is in the sigma algebra generated by the singletons. But the end part sounds good.

To prove that G is a sigma algebra, I just showed that G satisfy the 3 axioms of sigma algebra.

I admit the middle part is strange as I am not sure.

I've tried the following to prove G = σ({{x}:x[itex]\in[/itex] ℝ})

1st, I will prove that [itex]G \subset[/itex] σ({{x}:x[itex]\in[/itex] ℝ}).

Since an element in G is either countable to the complement is countable, it can be written as a countable union of singletons. Hence the element will be in the sigma field.

However, I really don't know how to show that σ({{x}:x[itex]\in[/itex] ℝ}) [itex]\subset G[/itex]. Can I say that an element in sigma(singleton) can be singleton or the complement of singleton?

Lily@pie said:
1st, I will prove that [itex]G \subset[/itex] σ({{x}:x[itex]\in[/itex] ℝ}).

Since an element in G is either countable to the complement is countable, it can be written as a countable union of singletons. Hence the element will be in the sigma field.

However, I really don't know how to show that σ({{x}:x[itex]\in[/itex] ℝ}) [itex]\subset G[/itex]. Can I say that an element in sigma(singleton) can be singleton or the complement of singleton?

Maybe you just aren't making complete statements. It's surely not true that if a set has a countable complement then it's a "countable union of singletons", is it? For the second part, let's call S=σ({{x}:x[itex]\in[/itex] ℝ}). You know that every element of G is in S. And G is a sigma algebra. And the singletons are in G. S is defined to be the SMALLEST sigma algebra containing the singletons. So?

Last edited:
Dick said:
Maybe you just aren't making complete statements. It's surely not true that if a set has a countable complement then it's a "countable union of singletons", is it? For the second part, let's call S=σ({{x}:x[itex]\in[/itex] ℝ}). You know that every element of G is in S. And G is a sigma algebra. And the singletons are in G. S is defined to be the SMALLEST sigma algebra containing the singletons. So?

I get the second part now.

This is what I was thinking for the first part,

Let A={{x}:x[itex]\in[/itex] ℝ}
For the first part, I am trying to prove that [itex]G \subseteq σ(A)[/itex]

If [itex]F \in G[/itex], F is countable or the complement is countable,

If F is countable, we can write F as [itex]\stackrel{\bigcup}{x\in F}[/itex]{x}. F is now a countable union of elements in σ(A), so [itex]F \in σ(A)[/itex].

If FC is countable, [itex]F^{C}=\stackrel{\bigcup}{x\in F^{C}}[/itex]{x}. FC is now a countable union of elements in σ(A), so [itex]F^{C} \in σ(A)[/itex] and this implies [itex](F^{C})^{C}=F \in σ(A)[/itex].

(i.e) [itex]G \subseteq σ(A)[/itex]

Am I heading the right direction? Thanks heaps!

Lily@pie said:
I get the second part now.

This is what I was thinking for the first part,

Let A={{x}:x[itex]\in[/itex] ℝ}
For the first part, I am trying to prove that [itex]G \subseteq σ(A)[/itex]

If [itex]F \in G[/itex], F is countable or the complement is countable,

If F is countable, we can write F as [itex]\stackrel{\bigcup}{x\in F}[/itex]{x}. F is now a countable union of elements in σ(A), so [itex]F \in σ(A)[/itex].

If FC is countable, [itex]F^{C}=\stackrel{\bigcup}{x\in F^{C}}[/itex]{x}. FC is now a countable union of elements in σ(A), so [itex]F^{C} \in σ(A)[/itex] and this implies [itex](F^{C})^{C}=F \in σ(A)[/itex].

(i.e) [itex]G \subseteq σ(A)[/itex]

Am I heading the right direction? Thanks heaps!

Yes, you are. Now if you are confident you have proved that G is a sigma algebra using the axioms, you should be done. Like I said, if you want to explain how that worked, I could look at that part too.

Related to Disprove [itex]\sigma[/itex] (singletons in R) = Borel field

1. What is the definition of a singleton in R?

A singleton in R is a set that contains only one element. In other words, it is a set with a cardinality of one.

2. What is the definition of a Borel field?

A Borel field, also known as a Borel sigma-algebra, is a collection of sets that are obtained from open intervals on the real line by taking countable unions, intersections, and complements.

3. How do you disprove that singletons in R are equal to the Borel field?

To disprove that singletons in R are equal to the Borel field, we can provide a counterexample. This means finding a singleton set that is not in the Borel field, or a set in the Borel field that is not a singleton.

4. Why is it important to understand the difference between singletons in R and the Borel field?

Understanding the difference between singletons in R and the Borel field is important because it helps us to accurately describe and classify sets in mathematical analysis. It also allows us to make precise statements and proofs in areas such as measure theory and probability.

5. Are there any real-life applications of this concept?

Yes, there are several real-life applications of this concept. For example, in probability theory, the Borel field is used to define the probability of events on the real line. In statistics, it is used to construct confidence intervals and perform hypothesis testing. Additionally, in economics and finance, the Borel field is used to define the concept of "measurability" in decision-making processes.

Back