Dissipated energy in RC circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses the evaluation of energy dissipated by Joule effect on a resistor in an RC circuit. The formula for the current in the circuit is given and the energy dissipated by the resistance is calculated through integration. There is a simpler way to calculate the energy and the conversation moves on to discuss the correct formula for the current and the potential energy stored in the capacitor. The possibility of instantaneous discharge with no resistance is also brought up and the conclusion is that even small resistance will result in energy being dissipated through electromagnetic waves. The conversation ends with a discussion on the Fourier series of a delta function and the concept of a perfect electric conductor.
Breston
Hi there.
I'm trying to evaluate the energy dissipated due to Joule effect on a resistor within an RC circuit
(R, C, and battery in series), with the capacitor initially uncharged.
Till now I just came up with the formula for the current flowing in the circuit
[itex]i(t) = e^{-\frac{t}{RC}}[/itex], resulting from a differential equation.
The energy dissipated by the resistance should be the power over R integrated from 0 to ∞:
[itex]\displaystyle E = \int_0^\infty P(t)dt = \int_0^\infty e^{-\frac{t^2}{(RC)^2}}dt[/itex]
which appears to be something I just can't calculate.
I'm quite sure there's a simpler way to do this.. do yo have any hint?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Breston said:
Hi there.
I'm trying to evaluate the energy dissipated due to Joule effect on a resistor within an RC circuit
(R, C, and battery in series), with the capacitor initially uncharged.
Till now I just came up with the formula for the current flowing in the circuit
[itex]i(t) = e^{-\frac{t}{RC}}[/itex], resulting from a differential equation.
The energy dissipated by the resistance should be the power over R integrated from 0 to ∞:
[itex]\displaystyle E = \int_0^\infty P(t)dt = \int_0^\infty e^{-\frac{t^2}{(RC)^2}}dt[/itex]
which appears to be something I just can't calculate.
I'm quite sure there's a simpler way to do this.. do yo have any hint?

What is the formula for the power on a resistor? And what do you mean with the integrand? It is not the power.

ehild

Likes 1 person
Okay, thank you, the power dissipated by the resistor is IV = I^2R, then the integral had to be
[itex]R\int_0^\infty e^{-\frac{2t}{RC}}dt[/itex] which gives [itex] -\frac{R^2C}{2}[e^{-\frac{2t}{RC}}]^\infty_0 = \frac{R^2C}{2} [\frac{Vs}{A}][/itex] which is... dimensionally wrong?
Edit: ok, by checking again everything I found out the expression for I was dimensionally wrong (e^kt is a pure number). The correct one is [itex]i(t) = I_0e^{-\frac{t}{RC}}[/itex], which make everything else correct.
Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
There is nothing to be thanked, you did it alone:smile: Well done!

ehild

Well, I still have some doubts.
In the end, the formula for the energy dissipated during the process of discharging a capacitor is equal to the potential energy stored in the capacitor [itex]\frac{1}{2}Q_0V_0[/itex], which was actually quite obvious, since there's nothing else providing energy. My first intuitive (and wrong) thought was that some extra energy would have been spent producing heat. Evidences show that [itex]R[/itex] only concerns the time needed to complete the discharge.
Now, what would happen if I completely charge a capacitor, and then I connect its plates each other with a PEC with no resistance? Would the discharge be instantaneous, since R is 0? And what about energy? We shouldn't be able to detect any energy change due to joule effect, yet the capacitor no longer possesses energy. Where did it go?

What is PEC?

Unless it is a superconductor, anything you connect the plates with have some resistance. If it is very small, the current will be very high and heat is produced.

Moreover, if you connect the capacitor plate with something of very small resistance, the current increases to a high value in a very short time. It can be also a spark. The current produces magnetic field. The change of magnetic field produces electric field. That electromagnetic disturbance travels in form an electromagnetic wave and spreads the energy of the capacitor to the environment. You can even hear some noise from your radio if there is a spark nearby: Some of the energy of the capacitor reached the radio.

ehild

Likes 1 person
The unaccounted energy went in a burst of wide bandwidth electromagnetic waves radiating outwards on an unimaginably long journey towards the edge of the universe, and inducing a minuscle voltage (ending up as heat) in every metallic body in its path. Very similar to what occurs after a lightning bolt, whose radiated energy you pick up on a radio and hear as a burst of static.

Think ... Fourier series of a delta function.

Likes 1 person
Cool, thank you both.
By the way PEC is a perfect electric conductor, an idealized material with 0 resistivity.

Related to Dissipated energy in RC circuit

1. What is dissipated energy in an RC circuit?

Dissipated energy in an RC circuit refers to the energy that is lost or converted into heat as a result of the resistance and capacitance in the circuit.

2. How is dissipated energy calculated in an RC circuit?

Dissipated energy can be calculated by multiplying the resistance (R) in the circuit by the square of the current (I) flowing through it, and then multiplying that by the time (t) the current is flowing: E = R * I^2 * t.

3. Why is dissipated energy important to consider in RC circuits?

Dissipated energy is important because it represents the amount of energy that is lost and cannot be used for the intended purpose of the circuit. This can affect the efficiency and performance of the circuit.

4. How does the value of resistance affect the amount of dissipated energy in an RC circuit?

The higher the resistance in an RC circuit, the more dissipated energy there will be. This is because a higher resistance will result in a larger voltage drop, leading to more energy being converted into heat.

5. Can dissipated energy be minimized in an RC circuit?

There are ways to minimize dissipated energy in an RC circuit, such as using a lower resistance value, choosing a capacitor with a higher capacitance, or reducing the amount of time the current is flowing. However, some dissipated energy is inevitable in any circuit due to the laws of thermodynamics.