Dissipative Phenomena: Diffusion Equation with Source

• MHB
  • Thread starter simo1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phenomena
In summary, the conversation discusses a diffusion equation with a source, under the conditions of zero-flux at the boundary points and an initial condition. They also mention the energy identity and the average value of a function over an interval. By using a certain assumption, they show that the norm of u(; t) is less than or equal to the exponential function of -(Dc + k)t. Based on this, it can be concluded that the long term behavior of u(; t) decreases exponentially.
simo1
i was given the question below, and have submitted my working but i cannot move forward from where i stopped on the photo

Consider the diffusion equation (with source)
u_t (x; t) - Du_xx (x; t) + ku(x; t) = 0; 0 < x < ℓ; t > 0; under conditions of zero-flux at the boundary points x = 0, x = ℓ and the initial
condition
u(x; 0) = a(x); a(x) given:
The following problem is concerned with applications of the energy identity
(u_t (; t); φ(; t)) + D(ux (; t); φx (; t)) + k(u(; t); φ(; t)) = 0:

The average value of a function f over the interval [0; ℓ] is de ned as
Av(f) =(1 divide ℓ)∫ f(x)dx By letting φ = c

show that under the assumption A = 0
∥u(; t)∥(less than or equal)  ∥a∥ exp{-(Dc + k)t}View attachment 2181:
Draw a conclusion about the long term behaviour of u(; t).

Attachments

• IMG-20140327-02367.jpg
    IMG-20140327-02367.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 67
Physics news on Phys.org
I would suggest that if you are going to attach images of your work rather than typeset it with $\LaTeX$, using more lighting and higher resolution pics. It would be a real struggle (for me at least) to try to read your images.

FAQ: Dissipative Phenomena: Diffusion Equation with Source

1. What is a dissipative phenomenon?

A dissipative phenomenon is a process in which energy is lost or dissipated over time, resulting in a decrease in the overall magnitude of the system's properties.

2. What is the diffusion equation with source?

The diffusion equation with source is a mathematical equation that describes the diffusion of a substance in a medium, taking into account both the diffusion coefficient and a source term that represents a continuous supply or removal of the substance from the system.

3. What are the applications of the diffusion equation with source?

The diffusion equation with source has many applications in various fields such as physics, chemistry, biology, and engineering. Some common applications include modeling the spread of pollutants in the environment, the diffusion of drugs in biological systems, and the diffusion of heat in a material.

4. How is the diffusion equation with source solved?

The diffusion equation with source can be solved using various mathematical methods such as separation of variables, Fourier transform, or numerical methods. The specific method used depends on the boundary and initial conditions of the problem.

5. What is the role of the source term in the diffusion equation with source?

The source term in the diffusion equation with source represents a continuous supply or removal of the diffusing substance from the system. It can significantly affect the behavior of the system and can result in different solutions compared to the diffusion equation without a source term.

Back