Distance analogy - am I being accurate?

• Thread starter leogarcia61
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Analogy
In summary, Leo is asking for feedback on his reasoning for using an analogy comparing the distance between hydrogen atoms in the universe to the distance between two children in a classroom. He is unsure if the analogy is accurate or useful and wants to know if there is a better comparison to use. Others suggest using smaller objects, like a pea or grain of salt, to make the comparison more relatable.
leogarcia61
Hi guys,

I am giving a schools talk and would like your opinion on whether or not you think the following reasoning is accurate and roughly scientific.

Lets we assume that on average there is only one hydrogen atom per cubic metre on average in the universe. The diameter of a hydrogen atom is 1.7e-15m.

Scaling up to the size of a human, can I say that the distance between hydrogen atoms in the universe is equivalent to:

0.3 (diameter of a small human) / 1.7e-15 = 1.76e14 m = 1100 AU

So the distance between hydrogen atoms in the universe is roughly equivalent to one of the kids standing the classroom and another kid standing 1000 times further away than we are to the sun (or if you can think of a better landmark to use I'd appreciate it! Mine is quite clumsy)

Does that logic hold, or is it outright wrong?

Thanks,

Leo

Astronomy news on Phys.org
leogarcia61 said:
The diameter of a hydrogen atom is 1.7e-15m.

That's not right. More like an angstrom.

Vanadium 50 said:
That's not right. More like an angstrom.

Wikipedia says 2.4 A, so I'm wrong either way. But aside from that - can I use this as a useful analogy?

I think what you used for diameter of the hydrogen atom is more like diameter of a proton.

The analogy makes sense, but I'm not sure how useful it is. These kind of analogies can be helpful because they put astronomically small or large numbers in some type of context humans have experience with. Even after your scaling, your factor is still 1100AU, which no child (or person, for that matter) has an intuitive grasp of.

Try using something smaller, like a pea or a grain of salt. Maybe then you'll get a distance comparable to that between cities or something. That would greatly increase the usefulness, in my opinion.

Nabeshin said:
Even after your scaling, your factor is still 1100AU, which no child (or person, for that matter) has an intuitive grasp of.

Try using something smaller, like a pea or a grain of salt. Maybe then you'll get a distance comparable to that between cities or something. That would greatly increase the usefulness, in my opinion.

I think you have a very good point - there's no point taking an ungraspable analogy and replacing it with another one! I'll see what numbers come out of smaller things like a pea.

Thanks for your advice - I really appreciate it!

Leo

Related to Distance analogy - am I being accurate?

1. How do I know if my distance analogy is accurate?

The best way to determine the accuracy of your distance analogy is to compare it to real-world data or observations. If the analogy accurately reflects the relationships and patterns seen in the data, then it can be considered accurate.

2. What factors should I consider when creating a distance analogy?

When creating a distance analogy, it is important to consider the scale, magnitude, and direction of the phenomena you are comparing. You should also take into account any known relationships or patterns between the two phenomena.

3. Can distance analogies be used to make predictions?

Distance analogies can be useful in making predictions, but they should be used with caution. The accuracy of the prediction will depend on the accuracy of the analogy and the assumptions made in creating it.

4. How can I improve the accuracy of my distance analogy?

To improve the accuracy of your distance analogy, you can gather more data and observations to compare it to. You can also refine the analogy by adjusting the scale or considering additional factors that may affect the relationship between the two phenomena.

5. Are there limitations to using distance analogies?

Yes, there are limitations to using distance analogies. They may oversimplify complex relationships and may not accurately reflect the nuances and intricacies of the phenomena being compared. Additionally, the accuracy of the analogy may depend on the context and may not hold true in all situations.