Distance and direction of one leg of a sailboat sail.

• Thread starter cdornz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Direction
In summary, a sailboat sails a total distance of 22 km and in a direction of 120° west of north during the third leg of its trip. This is found by using vector equations and trigonometry to calculate the magnitude and direction of the third leg, given the distance and direction of the other legs.
cdornz

Homework Statement

A sailboat sails 2km east, then 5km at 40° west of north, then sails off in a third direction. After the third leg of the trip, the sailboat returns to its starting point by sailing 15 km at 60° west of north. How far and in what direction did the sailboat sail during the third leg of its trip?

Leg 1: 2km to the right (east) 0°
Leg 2: 5km up and to the left (northwest) 40°
Leg 3: unknown
Leg 4: 15km up and to the left (northwest) 60°

Since I was told a direction, I assumed the kilometers would be the force in these equations. (This could be wrong, but I didn't know what else to try.)

Homework Equations

I thought I could use [itex]\Sigma[/itex]F=0
F1 + F2 +F3 + F4 = 0
F3 = -F1 - F2 - F4

then I could use pythagoreans theorem and arc tangent to solve for magnitude and direction.

The Attempt at a Solution

F1 + F2 +F3 + F4 = 0
F3x = -2cos0 - 5cos40 - 15cos60
F3x = -13.33

F1 + F2 +F3 + F4 = 0
F3y = -2sin0 - 5sin40 - 15sin60
F3y = 9.77

From here you would draw two arrows on a set of coordinate axis then use F3x and F3y to find F3. But the answer I come out to isn't equalling the answer in the book. I just have no idea what I'm doing wrong or how to go about this question correctly. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
cdornz said:
Since I was told a direction, I assumed the kilometers would be the force
It isn't about forces, but it is about vectors, so although it's quite wrong to say these are forces it should give the right answer.
F3x = -2cos0 - 5cos40 - 15cos60
It would help if you were to state your choice of co-ordinate system. I.e. is the +x direction N, S, E or W? Whichever, I think your equation above takes an inconsistent view.

Ok, so a vector has both a magnitude and direction. I'm given direction of each of the vectors. In the book I'm working with states that an equation I could use is:

Vectorx = (vector magnitude)cos[itex]\Theta[/itex]
Vectory = (vector magnitude)sin[itex]\Theta[/itex]

This leads me to the idea (if i set up the axis like the compass, i.e. north is +y, east is +x) that I can do the distance(cos[itex]\Theta[/itex]) So I would count the angle from the +x axis to the vector:

V1 2cos0 = 2
V2 5cos130 = -3.21
V4 15cos300 = 7.5

So V1 + V2 + V4 = V3 ?

But when I follow this, I don't get the correct distance.

cdornz said:
V1 2cos0 = 2
V2 5cos130 = -3.21
V4 15cos300 = 7.5
So V1 + V2 + V4 = V3 ?
A few problems there.
First, I don't think the 300 is right - check that.
Second, need to be careful with the signs. It's probably less confusing to write V1 + V2 + V3 + V4 = 0 and use a different angle in the V4 equation.
Third, what is the equation for V3? There is an angle involved again.
Fourth, you will need an equation for the NS direction too.

For the 300, it is listed that the boat went 15km in the SE direction..if it didn't then the 3rd direction wouldn't be correct. So since it was listed at 60°, counting from +x to that point would be 300, unless I'm missing some way in figuring out that angle.

So if I have V1 + V2 + V3 + V4 = 0, in what way am I supposed to calculate the equation for V3 if I'm not given any information about it? Unless I am assuming it is 30°; 90° (SE corner) - 60° (listed from leg 4).

How would I figure out an equation for the NS direction, if nothing is specifically given on this? I feel like I am just missing a piece of information.

cdornz said:
For the 300, it is listed that the boat went 15km in the SE direction
No, it says 60o W of N. From the x+ axis that's 150o.
So if I have V1 + V2 + V3 + V4 = 0, in what way am I supposed to calculate the equation for V3 if I'm not given any information about it?
By rearranging as V3 = -(V1 + V2 + V4)
How would I figure out an equation for the NS direction, if nothing is specifically given on this?
The above is a vector equation, so you can use it to produce two scalar equations, one NS and one EW, with sines and cosines.

haruspex said:
No, it says 60o W of N. From the x+ axis that's 150o.

Ah, of course, I was consider the directions specifically based on a compass, thank you for that!

By rearranging as V3 = -(V1 + V2 + V4)

You're right, this equation was much simpler to deal with.

So after finding the components of V1, V2 and V4 I ended with:

V3x = 14.203
V3y = -11.33

I then redrew this out on the coordinate plane, used the Pythagorean theorem then arc tangent for the angle. It came out to the correct answer. Thank you soo much for your help on this problem!

Related to Distance and direction of one leg of a sailboat sail.

1. What is the purpose of a sailboat sail?

A sailboat sail is used to harness the power of the wind to propel the boat forward. It acts as a wing, creating lift and allowing the boat to move in a desired direction.

2. How do you determine the distance a sailboat sail can cover?

The distance a sailboat sail can cover is dependent on various factors such as wind strength, boat speed, and sail size. Generally, a sailboat can cover a distance of 100 miles in 24 hours with favorable wind conditions.

3. How is the direction of a sailboat sail determined?

The direction of a sailboat sail is determined by the angle at which the sail is positioned in relation to the direction of the wind. This is known as the sail's "point of sail" and can be adjusted by the sailor using various techniques such as trimming the sail or changing the boat's course.

4. Can the distance and direction of a sailboat sail be affected by external factors?

Yes, external factors such as wind shifts, currents, and obstacles in the water can affect the distance and direction of a sailboat sail. Skilled sailors are able to navigate and adjust their sails accordingly to compensate for these factors and maintain optimal speed and direction.

5. What tools or techniques are used to measure the distance and direction of a sailboat sail?

In modern sailboats, GPS systems and other electronic devices can be used to measure the distance and direction of a sailboat sail. Traditional techniques such as using a compass, calculating wind speed and direction, and measuring boat speed using a log line are also commonly used by sailors.