Distance Between 2 Circles w/ 1 Common Point: All Possible Values

• Thread starter xstetsonx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    3d Plane
In summary, the possible values for the distance between the centers of two circles with radii 2 and 5, which intersect at exactly one point, range from 7 to 0. This is assuming that the smaller circle is inside the larger one, as it is not specified in the question. However, if the smaller circle is outside the larger one, then the only possible value is 7.
xstetsonx
There are two circles in the plane, their radii are 2 and 5. It is known that they have EXACTLY ONE common point. List all possible values of the distance between their centers.

okay, i know if two circles touch by one point their center distance can be 7 but it says all possible valueS. I don't see any other solution for this question. Please help

Physics news on Phys.org
You are assuming that the circles are outside each other, and intersect at just one point. What if the smaller circle is inside the larger one?

Mark44 said:
You are assuming that the circles are outside each other, and intersect at just one point. What if the smaller circle is inside the larger one?

but the question says the have only one common pt if the smaller circle is inside of the big one. don't they have more than one common point? Even if that is the case, it would be infinite right?

The smaller (inside) circle would still intersect the larger one at only one point. Why do you think it (what is it?) is infinite?

if so there are infinite answers to the distance between two circles' distance right?? could be from 7 to 0?

I get only one value when one circle is inside the other.

o i got it

Related to Distance Between 2 Circles w/ 1 Common Point: All Possible Values

1. What is the formula for finding the distance between two circles with one common point?

The formula for finding the distance between two circles with one common point is d = r1 + r2, where d is the distance between the centers of the circles and r1 and r2 are the radii of the two circles.

2. How do I determine the possible values for the distance between two circles with one common point?

The possible values for the distance between two circles with one common point can be determined by finding the difference between the radii of the two circles. The distance cannot be less than the difference between the radii or greater than the sum of the radii.

3. Can the distance between two circles with one common point be negative?

No, the distance between two circles with one common point cannot be negative. It is always a positive value as it represents the length between the centers of the two circles.

4. How does the location of the common point affect the possible values for the distance between two circles?

The location of the common point does not affect the possible values for the distance between two circles. The possible values are determined solely by the radii of the two circles.

5. Can the distance between two circles with one common point be greater than the sum of the radii of the two circles?

No, the distance between two circles with one common point cannot be greater than the sum of the radii of the two circles. This is because the distance between the centers of the two circles cannot be greater than the combined length of the radii.