Distance between n-th Roots of Unity

In summary: Great! That's exactly how I was trying to do it with the terms of the summation, I just had the limits wrong.Thanks for your help.In summary, the conversation discussed finding the distance between 1 and the various n-th roots of unity, denoted as d(k), and finding a formula for the sum of these distances, denoted as S(n). The conversation also explored finding the limit as n approaches infinity of (1/n)S(n). The approach involved vector subtraction and finding the magnitude, ultimately arriving at the answer of 4/pi. The conversation also mentioned the use of definite integrals to solve similar problems.
bank

Homework Statement

*Find the distance between 1 and the various n-th roots of unity - denoted d(k)

*Find a formula for the sum of distances between 1 and each of the n-th roots of unity - denoted S(n)

*Find the limit as n->infinity of (1/n).S(n)

Homework Equations

*The n-th roots of unity are z[0], z[1], z[2],...,z[n-1] - ie. there are 5 5th roots of unity. z[0] is always 1.

*d(k) = abs{z(k)-1}

*S(n) = sum(from k=1 to k=n-1) of d(k) - so n=5 has four terms in the sum

The Attempt at a Solution

By vector subtraction and finding the magnitude, I calculated:

d(k)=2sin( k.pi / n )

Hence:

S(n) = 2.sum(from k=1 to k=n-1) of sin( k.pi / n )

But now I'm stuck on the limit question. I know the answer is about 1.27 from calculating the first dozen term by calculato, however I can't see how to prove this.

What I have is (where limit is as n goes to infinity):

lim(1/n)S[n] = (2/n){sin(pi/n)+sin(2pi/n)+sin(3pi/n)+sin(4pi/n)+...+sin((n-1)pi/n)}

There are n-1 terms in the braces. Every time I try solving it I end up with zero, which I know is not the case, since when I do a spreadsheet S[n]/n starts at 1 (the n=2 case) and increases with increasing n. I've tried decomposing sine into x-x^3/3!+x^5/5!+... but it doesn't seem to help.

Is anyone able to steer me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi bank! Welcome to PF!

Your work looks good to me. For the third part, you have the following:

$$\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \frac{1}{n}\sum_{r=1}^{n-1}\left(2\sin\left(\frac{k\pi}{n}\right)\right)$$

Can you see a way to convert the above to a definite integral? ;)

Cheers, I'll have to have a look later, do you mean the whole thing, or just the part after the summation? I'll have to check my notes as I haven't done any analysis in a year.

Until you mentioned that I was going to look into the sums for:

1+2+3+4+5+...+(n-1) = ?
1^3+2^3+3^3+...+(n-1)^3 = ?

As if I can find those I'm on the way to an answer through the Taylor expansion of sine - or is the way you've mentioned much easier?

Have you got any examples of using definite integrals to solve this sort of thing?

I seem to be getting somewhere now.

I'd still like to know how to do it the way you've suggested using definite integrals, but by using the strategy I was thinking of, that is expanding the sines as series and substituting the values for the integer power summations, I arrive at an answer for the limit that is equal to:

SUM(from k=1 to infinity) -> [(-1)^n+1][pi^(2k-1)] / [k*((2k-1)!)]

I've plugged this into Excel and it gives the correct answer, I just need to arrive at the correct derivation for the limit - how would I arrive at this (1.2734)?

Sorry to keep you waiting, I had to leave for the tuition.

bank said:
do you mean the whole thing, or just the part after the summation?

I mean the whole thing.

As if I can find those I'm on the way to an answer through the Taylor expansion of sine - or is the way you've mentioned much easier?

bank said:
Have you got any examples of using definite integrals to solve this sort of thing?

I am not sure if the Taylor expansion would help but the summation you have is pretty easy to solve by converting it into a definite integral. Its something called converting a Riemann sum to a definite integral. It should be somewhere in your notes. For example, look here: http://in.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101015152613AAJJ3c0

I hope that helps.

I found my required answer simple enough.

I could manipulate my series to (2/pi).SUM(from n=1 to infinity) of (-1)^n+1 . pi^2n / (2n)!

This is thus after a change of sign:

-(2/pi) [pi^2/2! - pi^4/4! + pi^6/6! -...]

=-(2/pi) . cos(pi) - 1

= 4/pi as required

I've had a look next week, and the integration stuff seems to be there - so I have I feeling I was meant to solve it the way i did, though the results needed for 1^k+2^k+3^3k+...+(n-1)^k etc. are a little worrying in terms of proving proof for the general form in terms of n^k / k + O(n^k-1).

Are you able to go through how I could have done it with the integration method?

bank said:
I found my required answer simple enough.

I could manipulate my series to (2/pi).SUM(from n=1 to infinity) of (-1)^n+1 . pi^2n / (2n)!

This is thus after a change of sign:

-(2/pi) [pi^2/2! - pi^4/4! + pi^6/6! -...]

=-(2/pi) . cos(pi) - 1

= 4/pi as required

I've had a look next week, and the integration stuff seems to be there - so I have I feeling I was meant to solve it the way i did, though the results needed for 1^k+2^k+3^3k+...+(n-1)^k etc. are a little worrying in terms of proving proof for the general form in terms of n^k / k + O(n^k-1).

Are you able to go through how I could have done it with the integration method?

Nice!

For the integration method, the sum can be written as the following definite integral:
$$\int_0^1 2\sin(\pi x)\,dx=\frac{4}{\pi}$$
You will learn this when you deal with integrals. :)

Related to Distance between n-th Roots of Unity

What is the "Distance between n-th Roots of Unity"?

The distance between n-th roots of unity refers to the distance between any two complex numbers on the unit circle that are n-th roots of unity. This distance can be calculated using the formula d = 2sin(π/n), where n is the number of roots of unity.

How is the distance between n-th roots of unity related to trigonometry?

The distance between n-th roots of unity is related to trigonometry through the use of the unit circle. The unit circle can be used to visualize the n-th roots of unity, and the distance between any two roots can be calculated using trigonometric functions such as sine and cosine.

Why is the distance between n-th roots of unity important?

The distance between n-th roots of unity is important because it can help us understand the properties and relationships of these complex numbers. It can also be used in various mathematical and scientific applications, such as in signal processing and number theory.

What is the significance of n-th roots of unity in mathematics?

N-th roots of unity have many significant applications in mathematics, including in algebra, geometry, and number theory. They are also important in the study of symmetry and group theory, and have connections to other areas of mathematics such as complex analysis and Fourier analysis.

How can the distance between n-th roots of unity be used in practical applications?

The distance between n-th roots of unity can be used in practical applications such as in signal processing, where it can help to analyze and manipulate signals in both time and frequency domains. It can also be used in cryptography for generating secure encryption keys and in coding theory for error correction.