Distance between player and ball- projectile motion

In summary, the problem involves a soccer player running at 6.8 m/s and kicking a ball with an initial velocity of 22m/s at a 50° angle. The player continues to run at 6.68 m/s in the same direction as the ball. The solution involves breaking up the ball's movements into the x and y components and calculating the time the ball is in the air before hitting the ground. The player's distance from the ball when it strikes the ground is found to be approximately 25.66m.
dani123
1. Homework Statement

A soccer player running at 6.8 m/s kicks a soccer ball straight out in front of her so that it travels with an initial velocity of 22m/s at an angle of 50° with respect to the horizontal. If the soccer player continues to run at 6.68 m/s in the same direction that the ball was kicked, how far will she be from the ball when it strikes the ground?

2. Homework Equations

dv=1/2*at2
dh=Vh*Δt
Kinetic equation d=Vi*t+ 1/2*at2
dh=-V2*sin2θ /g
sinθ=opp/hyp
cosθ=adj/hyp
Δt=-2Vsinθ / g

3. The Attempt at a Solution

First, I started by finding the length of time the ball was in the air before hitting the ground.

dh=cos(50)*22=14.1m
dv=sin(50)*22=16.9m

Δt=14.1m/22m/s=0.64s

Then I found the distance traveled by the ball
d= (22m/s)*(0.64s)+ 1/2 (9.8)*(0.64s)2= 16.1m

and then I calculated the distance traveled by the player
d=(6.68m/s)*(0.64s)=4.28m I used this equation because there was no vertical distance to be measure for the player.

Then I found that the player would be d=16.1m-4.28m= 11.8m from the ball

I would like for someone to verify that the proper equations were used and that the significant figures are being respected. Thanks so much in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
dani123 said:
1. Homework Statement

A soccer player running at 6.8 m/s kicks a soccer ball straight out in front of her so that it travels with an initial velocity of 22m/s at an angle of 50° with respect to the horizontal. If the soccer player continues to run at 6.68 m/s in the same direction that the ball was kicked, how far will she be from the ball when it strikes the ground?

2. Homework Equations

dv=1/2*at2
dh=Vh*Δt
Kinetic equation d=Vi*t+ 1/2*at2
dh=-V2*sin2θ /g
sinθ=opp/hyp
cosθ=adj/hyp
Δt=-2Vsinθ / g

3. The Attempt at a Solution

First, I started by finding the length of time the ball was in the air before hitting the ground.
That's the right approach. :approve:
dh=cos(50)*22=14.1m
dv=sin(50)*22=16.9m

Δt=14.1m/22m/s=0.64s
...But that's not the right way to implement it.

You'll need to break up the ball's movements into the x and y components.

The component that involves the up/down (vertical) direction is the one that determines how long the ball is in the air. That's the same component that involves acceleration due to gravity. The ball is accelerating in the vertical direction (and only in the vertical direction).

Then I found the distance traveled by the ball
d= (22m/s)*(0.64s)+ 1/2 (9.8)*(0.64s)2= 16.1m
That's not quite right either. The horizontal distance traveled by the ball does not [directly] involve acceleration due to gravity.

The horizontal component of the ball is not accelerating. It is moving at a constant velocity. And once you know the horizontal component of the ball's velocity, together with the time the ball is in the air, you can calculate the ball's distance.

wow thanks for sharinghttp://www.infoocean.info/avatar1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you so much for your help! I have used an example that I found online as a guide as well and hoping that you would be able to verify if I got the right idea.

I broke up the problem and started by focusing on the information we have from the ball:
Vix=22m/s
θ=50°

R=Vi2sin2θ/g= 48.64m

then i went on to find the time of travel of the ball:
Δt=2|Vi|sinθ/g= 3.44s

Then I continued to look at the players distance travelled:
dh=(3.44s)*(6.68m/s)= 22.98m

So I figured the player would be 48.64m-22.98m=25.66m away from the ball once it hit the ground.

Would this be correct? Thanks again for your time and help, it is greatly appreciated!

yes you have done it the right way,answer is correct.

FAQ: Distance between player and ball- projectile motion

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion refers to the motion of an object that is projected into the air and then follows a curved path due to the influence of gravity.

2. How is the distance between player and ball affected by projectile motion?

In projectile motion, the distance between the player and the ball is constantly changing as the ball moves in a curved path. The distance between the player and the ball will be greatest at the point of release and then decrease as the ball travels towards the player. It will then increase again as the ball reaches its highest point and begins to descend towards the player.

3. What factors affect the distance between player and ball in projectile motion?

The distance between player and ball in projectile motion is affected by the initial velocity, angle of projection, and the acceleration due to gravity. The greater the initial velocity and angle of projection, the further the ball will travel and the greater the distance between player and ball will be. The acceleration due to gravity will also cause the ball to fall towards the ground, decreasing the distance between player and ball.

4. How can the distance between player and ball be calculated in projectile motion?

The distance between player and ball can be calculated using the equation d = v0t cosθ, where d is the distance, v0 is the initial velocity, t is the time, and θ is the angle of projection. This equation assumes that the acceleration due to gravity is constant and that there is no air resistance.

5. How does the distance between player and ball change over time in projectile motion?

The distance between player and ball changes over time in projectile motion because the ball is constantly moving in a curved path due to the influence of gravity. The distance between player and ball will be at its maximum at the point of release, decrease as the ball travels towards the player, increase again as the ball reaches its highest point, and then decrease again as the ball falls towards the ground.