How Can You Arrange Points in a Square While Maintaining a Minimum Distance?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to arrange n points inside a square of side length a, while ensuring that the distance between any two points is at least 1. The speakers consider different approaches, such as using random numbers or a predetermined grid, and also discuss the possibility of there being no solution for certain values of a. The problem is described as an open question, with the expectation that the solution will demonstrate critical thinking skills.
Galizius
Please post this type of questions in the homework forums, and always show how you tried to solve the problem by yourself.
I am wondering how can I solve following problem.
Arrange randomly n points inside a square of the side length a under the condition that the distance between any two points may not be smaller than 1.

I would like to see how can it be solved.

Physics news on Phys.org
And we would like to see your thoughts on the problem.

I was trying to make n random numbers in the selected a side length but I do not know how to make sure that the point-to-point distance between every of the n points will be always bigger than 1.

I believe this is an open question - that is, you are expected to show you can think, and there is one correct solution.

Can you think of any grid of (not random) points, where the shortest distance is guaranteed to be 1?

Can you think of an a for which there is no solution?

Related to How Can You Arrange Points in a Square While Maintaining a Minimum Distance?

1. What is the distance between two points in a crystal?

The distance between two points in a crystal is the length of the shortest path connecting the two points while staying within the crystal lattice. This distance is typically measured in units of Angstroms (Å) or nanometers (nm).

2. How is the distance between points in a crystal calculated?

The distance between points in a crystal is calculated using the crystallographic coordinates of the two points. These coordinates are determined through techniques such as X-ray crystallography or electron microscopy. The distance is then calculated using the Pythagorean theorem.

3. Can the distance between points in a crystal vary?

Yes, the distance between points in a crystal can vary depending on the orientation of the crystal lattice and the position of the points within the lattice. In addition, changes in temperature and pressure can also affect the distance between points in a crystal.

4. Why is the distance between points in a crystal important?

The distance between points in a crystal is important because it provides information about the arrangement and structure of atoms within the crystal lattice. This information is crucial for understanding the physical and chemical properties of crystals, which are used in various applications such as electronics, medicine, and materials science.

5. Is there a limit to the distance between points in a crystal?

There is no specific limit to the distance between points in a crystal. However, the distance between points in a crystal cannot exceed the size of the crystal itself. Additionally, as the distance between points increases, the likelihood of interactions between atoms decreases, which can affect the overall structure and properties of the crystal.

Back