Distance between surfaces in an assembly of sliding parts

In summary, the conversation revolves around designing something in SolidWorks for the first time, with multiple parts that have sliding surfaces. The speaker is wondering if there is a standard distance that should be left between metal surfaces with sliding parts, taking into account the type of metals and the desired fit. They mention using copper parts and needing the pieces to easily slide in and out of each other. The conversation also touches on the importance of making allowances for fit and fitting when working with metal pieces. The speaker mentions a table for preferred fits and a calculator for determining deviations for the selected fit. They are seeking advice on how to approach this aspect of their design.
Kavorka
I have been working on designing something in SolidWorks for the first time, which involves several parts with surfaces that slide into one another. I am wondering if there is a table or a standardization in terms of the distance that should be left between metal surfaces with sliding parts. I assume this depends on the type of metals and the tightness of the fit (I'm using copper parts, and the pieces should be able to easily slide in/out of one another). Obviously you can't have a metal piece you want to insert into another metal piece with the dimensions of the fit and fitting being exactly the same, it would be a very tight fit. Whether you should make an allowance 0.001 mm or 0.1 mm of space in your dimensions is beyond me though. Any advice?

Engineering news on Phys.org

Related to Distance between surfaces in an assembly of sliding parts

1. What is the importance of the distance between surfaces in an assembly of sliding parts?

The distance between surfaces in an assembly of sliding parts is important because it determines the amount of clearance or space needed for the parts to slide smoothly without interference. Improper distance between surfaces can result in friction, wear and tear, and even malfunctioning of the parts.

2. How is the distance between surfaces measured in an assembly of sliding parts?

The distance between surfaces is typically measured using specialized tools such as a feeler gauge, dial calipers, or micrometers. These tools can accurately measure the distance between surfaces in millimeters or inches.

3. What factors affect the distance between surfaces in an assembly of sliding parts?

The distance between surfaces can be affected by several factors, including the size and shape of the parts, the materials they are made of, and the temperature and humidity of the environment. The design and tolerances of the parts also play a significant role in determining the distance between surfaces.

4. How can the distance between surfaces be adjusted in an assembly of sliding parts?

The distance between surfaces can be adjusted by making changes to the design of the parts, using different materials, or by using shims or spacers between the parts. In some cases, the parts may need to be machined or ground to achieve the desired distance between surfaces.

5. What are the consequences of having an incorrect distance between surfaces in an assembly of sliding parts?

An incorrect distance between surfaces can lead to various problems such as increased friction and wear, decreased performance and efficiency, and even complete failure of the assembly. It can also result in increased maintenance and repair costs. Therefore, it is crucial to ensure the correct distance between surfaces in an assembly of sliding parts.