Distance from source to observe Doppler effect?

In summary, the conversation discussed the observation of wavelengths from sources and their apparent frequency, which is determined by velocity. The distance from the source does not affect the frequency, but rather it is the relative separation between the source and the observer. The concept was compared to the Doppler effect, and the suggestion was made to think about the concept rather than relying on animations.
TheCanadian
I was just looking at a few animations and something that could be just visualized incorrectly or I may have interpreted correctly is that the wavelengths coming from the sources are initially smaller close to the source, but become larger as you get far away from the source. Is there any particular distance away from the source you have to be to observe a wavelength of particular size?

Physics news on Phys.org
Im not sure i understand you correctly, the frequency doesn't change, it is the apparent frequency the amount of apparent frequency is determined by velocity i believe. A helpfull formula to understand would be
F'=f(v/v+/-us)
For example when a police car or ambulance passes you on the road, you can hear the pitch of sound change from high to low frequency it is high when it is approaching and low when it is going away

Last edited:
TheCanadian said:
I was just looking at a few animations and something that could be just visualized incorrectly or I may have interpreted correctly is that the wavelengths coming from the sources are initially smaller close to the source, but become larger as you get far away from the source. Is there any particular distance away from the source you have to be to observe a wavelength of particular size?
Do you have a link to one of these animations?

No, the OP mentions some animations and these seem to be source of some confusion. I think it will be helpful to see some of them.
I don't understand what video are you thinking about.

nasu said:
No, the OP mentions some animations and these seem to be source of some confusion. I think it will be helpful to see some of them.
I don't understand what video are you thinking about.
My fault nasu, i ment to ask the op if he wanted some more example videos of the Doppler effect

TheCanadian said:
I have a feeling that you could be trying to reconcile the gradual change in frequency of what you hear as a siren approaches and goes past. It is due to the geometry of the situation. If the vehicle is traveling at constant speed and you are (hopefully) to one side of its track, the distance between you and the siren does not change at the same rate that the vehicle is travelling. It's a result of Pythagoras. The frequency you hear will depend on the rate of change of the relative separation and not the speed over the ground of the siren. In fact, when you are abreast of the vehicle, the relative speed is quite low for a significant time. If you were directly in the track of the siren, the (higher) frequency would be the same as it approaches and (if you were alive to hear it) would change abruptly to the lower frequency as it receded.
It unlikely that an animation will show you this (animations and simulations are not reality). You may be better advised to think about it rather than relying on animations to help you here (and in many other cases).

Likes Nick tringali

Related to Distance from source to observe Doppler effect?

1. What is the Doppler effect?

The Doppler effect is the change in frequency or wavelength of a wave in relation to an observer who is moving relative to the source of the wave. This effect is commonly observed with sound waves, such as the change in pitch of a siren as it passes by a stationary observer.

2. How is the distance from the source to the observer related to the Doppler effect?

The distance from the source to the observer affects the magnitude of the Doppler effect. The farther away the observer is from the source, the smaller the change in frequency or wavelength will be. This is because the speed of the wave is constant, so the time it takes for the wave to reach the observer is longer when the distance is greater.

3. Does the speed of the source affect the Doppler effect?

Yes, the speed of the source also affects the Doppler effect. If the source is moving towards the observer, the frequency or wavelength will increase, and if the source is moving away, the frequency or wavelength will decrease. The magnitude of this change is directly proportional to the speed of the source.

4. How does the direction of motion of the source and the observer impact the Doppler effect?

The direction of motion of the source and the observer determines whether the Doppler effect will result in an increase or decrease in frequency or wavelength. If the source and observer are moving towards each other, the frequency or wavelength will increase, but if they are moving away from each other, the frequency or wavelength will decrease.

5. Can the Doppler effect be observed with all types of waves?

Yes, the Doppler effect can be observed with all types of waves, including sound waves, light waves, and water waves. However, the magnitude of the effect may differ depending on the type of wave. For example, the Doppler effect is more noticeable with sound waves because they travel at a slower speed compared to light waves.