Distance from sun to earth= 1.5 x10^11m

• Thread starter Littlemin5
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Earth Sun
In summary, the conversation is about finding the point between Earth and the Sun where an object can be placed so that the net gravitational force exerted by Earth and the Sun on the object is zero. The formula F=Gm1m2/r^2 is mentioned, but it is unsure if it is the correct equation to use. The attempt at a solution involves manipulating the situation and using the given values, but the answer obtained does not seem correct. The possibility of accounting for the radii of the bodies is brought up and the asker is reminded that they have already started a thread on this problem.
Littlemin5
Please help!

1. Homework Statement
Find the point between Earth and the Sun at which an object an be placed so that the net gravitatinal force exerted by Earth an the sun on this object is zero.

Me=5.98 x 10^24kg
Ms=2 x 10^30kg
Distance from sun to earth= 1.5 x10^11m

2. Homework Equations

F=Gm1m2/r^2 --> not sure if this is right?

3. The Attempt at a Solution

So I tried to manipulate the situation and thought I could do:
When x equals the distance from the sun.

(G(Ms)) / x^2 = (G(Me))/ (d-x)^2

When I plugged in the numbers though I got 1.49x10^11m as my answer. I don't feel like this is right because it's pretty much the full distance between them. Is this not the way to do it, and if not how do I go about doig this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org

I have not done this one in a while, but I believe that you may need to take the radii of the bodies into account. Since in that formula for Gravitational force, r is the distance between the centers.

Related to Distance from sun to earth= 1.5 x10^11m

1. What is the distance from the sun to the earth?

The distance from the sun to the earth is approximately 1.5 x 10^11 meters. This distance is also known as 1 astronomical unit (AU).

2. How is the distance from the sun to the earth measured?

The distance from the sun to the earth is measured using a unit called astronomical unit (AU). It is the average distance from the earth to the sun, which is approximately 1.5 x 10^11 meters.

3. How long does it take for light to travel from the sun to the earth?

Light takes approximately 8 minutes and 20 seconds to travel from the sun to the earth. This means that the sunlight we see on earth is 8 minutes and 20 seconds old.

4. Does the distance from the sun to the earth change?

Yes, the distance from the sun to the earth changes slightly throughout the year due to the elliptical orbit of the earth around the sun. The distance can range from 147 million km (perihelion) to 152 million km (aphelion).

5. How does the distance from the sun to the earth affect life on earth?

The distance from the sun to the earth plays a crucial role in the existence of life on earth. The earth's distance from the sun allows for a stable climate and the right amount of sunlight for photosynthesis, which is essential for sustaining life. If the distance were to change significantly, it could have drastic effects on the earth's climate and life forms.