Distance from the line to the plane (which one is correct?)

In summary: I would start by finding the point on the line, (2, 1, -1/2)+ t(i, j, k) closest to the origin. That is, find t so that the distance from (2+ t, 1+ t, -1/2+ t) to (0, 0, 0) is minimized. Then find the distance from that point to the plane.
bobey
distance from the line to the plane (which one is correct?)

Homework Statement

find the distance from the line x=2+t, y=1+t, z= -(1/2)-(1/2)t to the plane x+2y+6z =10

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

my first attempt ::

by setting t = 0, we get a point on the line, say P :<2,1,-1/2>. the point on the plane, say, S we get if we set y=0, z=0 ==> x= 0. thus the point S on the plane is <10,0,0>.

thus the vector PS = S - P =8i-j+1/2k

vector normal to the plane, n = i+2j+6k

so the distance point P to the plane = |PS.n|/|n| = 9/sqrt(41) unitmy second attempt ::

the vector normal to the line, n1 = i+j-1/2k

the vector normal to the plane, n2 = i+2j+6k

n1.n2 = 0 ==> the two normal are perpendicular ===> the line and the plane are parallel

thus the distance for the line to the plane = sqrt(2^2+1^2+(-1/2)^2) = sqrt(21)/2 unit
WHICH ATTEMPT IS CORRECT SINCE I GOT TWO DIFFERENT ANSWERS? PLEASE HELP ME...:cry:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

bobey said:
my second attempt ::

n1.n2 = 0 ==> the two normal are perpendicular ===> the line and the plane are parallel

thus the distance for the line to the plane = sqrt(2^2+1^2+(-1/2)^2) = sqrt(21)/2 unit

this is not correct n1 = i+j-1/2k is parallel to your line

bobey said:

Homework Statement

find the distance from the line x=2+t, y=1+t, z= -(1/2)-(1/2)t to the plane x+2y+6z =10

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

my first attempt ::

by setting t = 0, we get a point on the line, say P :<2,1,-1/2>. the point on the plane, say, S we get if we set y=0, z=0 ==> x= 0. thus the point S on the plane is <10,0,0>.

thus the vector PS = S - P =8i-j+1/2k

vector normal to the plane, n = i+2j+6k

so the distance point P to the plane = |PS.n|/|n| = 9/sqrt(41) unit
This is incorrect. You are trying to use the fact that |PS.n|= |PS||n| cos(theta) but in this case what you get is |PS|, the straight line distance from the point <2, 1, -1/2> to the point <10, 0, 0> While one is a point on the line and the other is a point on the plane, it doesn't follow that this is the shortest possible distance between a point on the line and a point on the plane, which is, by definition, the 'distance between line and plane'.

my second attempt ::

This is just the distance from (2, 1, -1/2) to (0, 0, 0). It has nothing to do with the plane!

WHICH ATTEMPT IS CORRECT SINCE I GOT TWO DIFFERENT ANSWERS? PLEASE HELP ME...:cry:
It looks to me like neither is correct. I simply don't follow your "logic".

Related to Distance from the line to the plane (which one is correct?)

1. What is the difference between distance from the line to the plane and distance from the plane to the line?

The distance from the line to the plane is the shortest distance between any point on the line and any point on the plane. On the other hand, the distance from the plane to the line is the shortest distance between any point on the plane and any point on the line. These two distances are equal since they are both measuring the same distance between the two objects.

2. How is the distance from the line to the plane calculated?

The distance from the line to the plane can be calculated by finding the perpendicular distance from any point on the line to the plane. This can be done using the formula d = |Ax + By + Cz + D| / √(A^2 + B^2 + C^2), where A, B, and C are the coefficients of the plane's equation and D is the constant term.

3. Can the distance from the line to the plane be negative?

No, the distance from the line to the plane cannot be negative. This distance is always measured as a positive value, as it represents the shortest distance between the two objects.

4. Is the distance from the line to the plane affected by the orientation of the line and plane?

Yes, the distance from the line to the plane is affected by the orientation of the line and plane. If the line and plane are parallel, the distance will be 0 since they are essentially the same object. Also, the distance will vary depending on which points are chosen on the line and plane to measure from.

5. Can the distance from the line to the plane be greater than the distance from the line to a point on the plane?

Yes, the distance from the line to the plane can be greater than the distance from the line to a specific point on the plane. This is because the distance from the line to the plane is measuring the shortest distance between the entire line and the entire plane, while the distance from the line to a point on the plane is measuring the shortest distance between just two specific points.