Distance function from x to the Cantor set

In summary, the function discussed satisfies continuity and has uncountably many zeroes, but it is not constant. There is no interval on which the function is constant, and the distance function from x to the Cantor set is continuous and has uncountably many zeroes. This challenges the idea that a function must have countably many zeroes if it is continuous and never constant.
Dragonfall
Does the said function satisfy:

(1)continuity
(2)never constant
(3)has uncountably many zeroes

1 and 3 is trivial, but I'm not sure about 2.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello hello

I'm not sure how you'd even define the distance, given that every point in (0, 1) has a point in the Cantor set within epsilon for any epsilon > 0.

CRGreathouse said:
I'm not sure how you'd even define the distance, given that every point in (0, 1) has a point in the Cantor set within epsilon for any epsilon > 0.

Not true. The Cantor set is not dense in (0, 1). For example the point 1/2 is at least 1/6 away from any point in the Cantor (middle-thirds) set. In fact, dist({1/2}, CantorSet} = 1/6.

Ah... clearly I was thinking of something else. That'll teach me to post late at night!

Dragonfall said:
Does the said function satisfy:

(1)continuity
(2)never constant
(3)has uncountably many zeroes

1 and 3 is trivial, but I'm not sure about 2.

If x=1/2, then the distance from x to the Cantor middle-third set would be 1/6. If x=0, then the distance would be 0. Hence "not constant".

I find the the use of the word "never" strange since it sounds to be like asserting otherwise the function would be constant on, say, the Tuesdays after a new moon, but not constant all other days.

Possibly what you mean is that there are no open sets on which the function is constant.

By "never" I mean that there is no interval on which it is constant.

This is was a problem I thought up. My intuition was that since if a function is "continuous", and "never constant", each time you hit a zero you must "wave" up and down in order to hit a zero again. So this will make the number of zeros "countable". But the distance function from x to the cantor set seems to be "continuous and never constant" but has uncountably many zeros.

Related to Distance function from x to the Cantor set

1. What is the Cantor set?

The Cantor set is a self-similar fractal set that is constructed by repeatedly removing the middle third of a line segment. The remaining points form a set that is uncountable, meaning that it has an infinite number of points, but it also has zero length.

2. How is the distance function from x to the Cantor set calculated?

The distance function from x to the Cantor set is calculated by finding the shortest distance between the point x and any point in the Cantor set. This can be done by finding the distance between x and the closest point in the Cantor set, which can be determined by the Cantor set's fractal structure.

3. What is the purpose of the distance function from x to the Cantor set?

The distance function from x to the Cantor set is used to measure the distance between any point x and the Cantor set. This is useful in many mathematical and scientific applications, such as optimization and analysis.

4. Is the distance function from x to the Cantor set continuous?

Yes, the distance function from x to the Cantor set is continuous. This means that a small change in the input value x will result in a small change in the output value, making it a useful tool in calculus and other mathematical fields.

5. Can the distance function from x to the Cantor set be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, the distance function from x to the Cantor set can be extended to higher dimensions. It can be used to measure the distance between a point and a Cantor set in any number of dimensions, making it a versatile tool in higher-dimensional mathematics and physics.