Distance/Rate/Time word problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a Cessna 150 and its average speed in still air, as well as its speed with a tailwind and a headwind. The problem asks for the average wind speed. The solution presented involves setting up equations using distance, rate and time, but results in the incorrect answer of 57.69 mph instead of the correct answer of 30 mph. The error likely lies in the conversion of the given times into fractions.
acen_gr

Homework Statement

A Cessna 150 averages 150 mph in still air. With a tailwind it is able to make a trip in 2 1/3 hours. Because of the headwind, it is only able to make the return trip in 3 1/2 hours. What is the average wind speed?

Homework Equations

(1) If x = wind speed and y = still air speed
∴ resultant speed (tailwind) = x + y
∴ resultant speed (headwind) = x - y

(2) d = rt

The Attempt at a Solution

let x = wind speed
still air speed = 150 mph
tailwind time = 2 1/3 hours
tailwind speed = 150 + x
headwind time = 3/12 hours
headwind speed = 150 - x

I used these as given for the problem, expressed distance in terms of tailwind/headwind time and rates, set distance as constant (equates), solves for x then gets 57.69 as answer.
but in the book, the answer is 30 mph. What is the problem with my solution?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, your solution is wrong! And we can tell you what you did wrong because you do not say what you did. Please write out the equations exactly as you used them and how you solved.

let x = wind speed
tailwind speed = 150 + x
headwind time = 3 1/2 hours
headwind speed = 150 - x

d = rt

tailwind:
d = (150 + x)(2 1/3)
d = 100 + 2 1/3 x

headwind:
d = (150 - x)(3 1/2)
d = 225 - 3 1/2 x

d = d

100 + 2x/3 = 225 - 3x/2
2x/3 + 3x/2 = 125
4x + 9x = 125(6)
13x = 750
x = 57.69

@HallsOfIvy, sorry..

acen_gr said:
let x = wind speed
tailwind speed = 150 + x
headwind time = 3 1/2 hours
headwind speed = 150 - x

d = rt

tailwind:
d = (150 + x)(2 1/3)
d = 100 + 2 1/3 x

headwind:
d = (150 - x)(3 1/2)
d = 225 - 3 1/2 x

d = d

100 + 2x/3 = 225 - 3x/2
2x/3 + 3x/2 = 125
4x + 9x = 125(6)
13x = 750
x = 57.69

Note that 3 1/2=3.5=7/2 and 2 1/3 =7/3.

ehild

Related to Distance/Rate/Time word problem

1. How do I solve a distance/rate/time word problem?

Solving a distance/rate/time word problem involves using the formula distance = rate x time. First, identify the given variables (distance, rate, and time) and plug them into the formula. Then, solve for the missing variable by rearranging the formula or using algebraic equations.

2. What unit of measurement should I use for distance, rate, and time in a word problem?

The unit of measurement used for distance, rate, and time should be consistent throughout the problem. Common units include miles, kilometers, meters, feet, hours, minutes, and seconds. Choose the unit that is appropriate for the given scenario and convert if necessary.

3. How do I know which variable to solve for in a distance/rate/time word problem?

The variable to solve for in a distance/rate/time word problem depends on the given information and the question being asked. If the question asks for the distance, solve for distance. If the question asks for the rate, solve for rate. If the question asks for the time, solve for time.

4. What should I do if there are multiple variables in a distance/rate/time word problem?

If there are multiple variables in a distance/rate/time word problem, use the given information to set up a system of equations. This will involve multiple equations with multiple variables. Then, use algebraic methods such as substitution or elimination to solve for the variables.

5. How can I check if my answer is correct in a distance/rate/time word problem?

To check if your answer is correct in a distance/rate/time word problem, plug your calculated values back into the original formula and see if it makes sense. For example, if the calculated distance is greater than the given distance, then the answer is likely incorrect. Also, you can use estimation or a calculator to verify your answer.