Distance to stars from my house using the parallax technique?

In summary, the parallax technique for measuring the distance to stars is limited by the Earth's atmosphere and the resolving power of telescopes. Typically, stars must be at least 1 parsec away to display a parallax of 1 arcsecond, and even the nearest stars will have significantly smaller parallaxes. Attempting to measure parallax in only a month would require a telescope with exceptional resolving power and precise measurements, making it a difficult task for amateurs. The Earth's orbit around the sun, forming the base of the parallax triangle, is approximately 186 million miles and one light year is around 6 trillion miles, making it a challenge to measure such small angles accurately.
Stratosphere
Is it possible to find the distance to stars from my house using the parallax technique? If I can how close does a star have to be to be measured in a month instead of six months?

Astronomy news on Phys.org

Stratosphere said:
Is it possible to find the distance to stars from my house using the parallax technique? If I can how close does a star have to be to be measured in a month instead of six months?

If I didn't know any better I'd say you were trying to do this yourself.

A star at a distance of 1 pc displays a parallax of 1 arcsecond. There are no stars closer than 1pc, so even the nearest are going to display a parallax siginificantly smaller than 1 arcsecond. And these are annual parallax numbers. If you want to try the measurements in only a month, you can expect much smaller parallaxes, on the order of 1/50 of an arcsecond for typical stars.

So, unless you have that kind of resolving power, I'd say it's out of the question.

So would I be able to measure things that would require a longer amount of time?

Stratosphere said:
So would I be able to measure things that would require a longer amount of time?

Probably not. Like I said annual parallaxes are going to be less than one arc second. Significantly less, but it's probably even optimistic to hope to get some in the neighborhood of 1/10 of an arcsecond. Annually. Also, given the fact that even under the best of seeing conditions the Earth's atmosphere limits resolution to about .5 arcseconds, it seems a daunting task indeed.

Getting down to .5 arcseconds isn't actually that hard, and only requires a ~8-10 inch diameter telescope. But taking precise enough measurements to detect the parallax, owing to the damned atmosphere, would be near impossible for an amateur (I think).

You can do the math with simple trigonometry. The diameter of the Earth's orbit around the sun is approximately 186 million miles [a very convenient number - 1000 light seconds]. That forms the base of the parallax triangle you have to work with. One light year works out to around 6 trillion miles - a pretty large number compared to the diameter of Earth's orbit. You need a very accurate [and expensive] devise to reliably measure such small angles.

OK, these answers are better than mine. Which was going to be 'Depends on how wide your house is'.

Related to Distance to stars from my house using the parallax technique?

What is the parallax technique for measuring distance to stars?

The parallax technique is a method used by astronomers to measure the distance to stars by observing their apparent shift in position from different vantage points on Earth. This technique takes advantage of the fact that as the Earth orbits the sun, the position of nearby stars appears to shift in relation to more distant stars.

How accurate is the parallax technique in measuring distance to stars?

The parallax technique is considered to be one of the most accurate methods for measuring the distance to nearby stars. Depending on the distance of the star, the accuracy can range from a few percentage points to within a few hundredths of a percent.

What is the maximum distance that can be measured using the parallax technique?

The maximum distance that can be measured using the parallax technique is approximately 1000 light years. Beyond this distance, the parallax angle becomes too small to accurately measure.

What are some limitations of the parallax technique?

The parallax technique is limited to measuring the distance of nearby stars. It also relies on accurate and precise measurements of the parallax angle, which can be affected by factors such as atmospheric disturbances and the quality of the telescope being used.

How has the parallax technique contributed to our understanding of the universe?

The parallax technique has been instrumental in determining the distances and sizes of stars, which has allowed scientists to create a more accurate map of our galaxy and the universe. It has also helped in identifying and understanding the movements and motions of stars and galaxies.